|One of the "bottom" parts cut out|
And this is what I had after we were done forming them:
|Dem shapes ~|
Yesterday (2nd April) I decided to try using fabric backing for the first time as a way to stiffen, strengthen and support the armor. So I went into the attic to check what fabrics we had that could possibly work; I wanted something smooth, something light-weight that had a bit of stretch. After looking around I found this one very dark blue very soft and nicely flowing knit-like fabric that seemed pretty cool. I took it with me back inside and cut out fitting pieces for the armors, making sure to have some excess just in case.
|Fabric backing cut out|
|Fabric glued to the back side of the craft foam|
|Fabric backing to the right|
|Water & glue mix ready to be brushed on|
|And here's the foam pieces after their first coating, still wet|
(you can notice at this point the pieces have lost pretty much all of their curving...)
|The spray paint in question|
|My makeshift working table ~|
I must say the first coating made me scared because the foam didn't seem to take the paint well at all and all sorts of "oh fuck don't tell me it won't work" thoughts appeared in my mind. I then thought that maybe I diluted the glue too much and/or didn't use enough coatings. I don't know, but I got nervous and waited a bit before I tried spraying on a second coating.
But I decided to let them dry outside for a while and came back an hour or so later to check. I was not surprised to find out they hadn't completely dried yet... stupid 0 °C weather, takes forever to dry! Oh well, I decided to spray on a third coating just in case to see if they would turn fully black now.. if not I could just paint them over with an ordinary black paint and then try spray painting on top of that.
More progress later.