July 18, 2022

Lens review: RevoColour Twinkle Marine Blue

Hello summer bugs!

Today I think it's high time that I share another circle lens review with y'all over on the other side of the screen! I will be reviewing the RevoColour Twinkle Marine Blue, another color of the Twinkle series that sadly seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth. :(

But before we get all gloomy let's get on with the review~



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.5 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)
 

I really dig the design of these lenses and honestly am a bit sad that they seem unavailable nowadays. The patterning has these sorta bright colored areas that are alternated with transparent gaps; the gaps let your real eye color through but instead of lessening the color coverage the effect it provides is beautiful and really makes your eyes look shimmery and interesting.
There's a moderate enlargement effect, and by moderate I mean that it's not gonna morph you into a doll or something thanks to the subdued limbal ring; thick black limbal rings are usually thought to give a greater illusion of enlargement than off-black and less densely pigmented ones. If you look closely you'll notice that the limbal rim on these lenses actually consists of a lot of tiny dots, same with the blue color.

One lens in.
 
I'm not sure how to describe the blue color. It's not a super light shade but it's not a dark one either. It's pretty neatly in the middle and I don't really know what the proper name for the shade is but 'cerulean blue' comes to mind? Regardless of the proper term this is a lens that compliments my naturally gray-blue eyes really well! The color has just enough punch to it to stand out but without making your eyes look too extraordinary it's like that perfect balance between vibrancy and sophistication.

 Lens photos incoming!
All photos taken by me during an afternoon with a mostly clear sky.
There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light, indoors.

Bathroom light.
 
Flash photo, indoors.

Facing a window (indoors), not sun side.

Unlit corridor, poor distant natural light only.

Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing wall)

Outdoors, facing the sun while standing under the roof's shadow.

Outdoors, facing the sun directly.

There's not much I can say about comfort. If you've been following my blog for a while now it should be no surprise that these lenses were also part of the forgotten box. For those new to the blog the story goes that I had put a cardboard box, full with lenses, somewhere and forgotten about it for way too long. When I found it, after some years had passed, all the unopened lenses inside had expired. Since then I've just been reviewing these forgotten lenses and then immediately discarding them once I get all review photos taken.
Almost all of the expired lenses I've worn so far have been good to wear, but I'm not gonna take any additional risks for comfort testing so yeah, my comfort grades are purely based on my first and only experience of wearing the lenses. And yes, I strongly recommend that you never wear expired lenses, especially to events like anime conventions where you'd wear colored contact lenses for prolonged periods of time.
But yeah, back to the review at hand. Umm, so what little I can say regarding the comfort of this particular pair is that they were thin and I didn't really feel that I had lenses on. They appeared to be comfy and I had no issues with blurred vision or anything of the sort. I have naturally very dry and kinda sensitive eyes but these lenses seemed fine to me.
I do want to note though, especially for more inexperienced contact lens wearers, that I found the Twinkle series very difficult to tell apart which side of the lens is the right and wrong side. The difference in the curve is so minimal so that unless you're an avid circle lens wearer it's pretty damn hard to tell the difference!
 
I guess that about wraps it up. This is a beautiful blue lens, its not the most awe-inspiring out there but it's gorgeous nevertheless and has a nice balance between color and effect. Shame it's not available any more (or at least it heavily looks like it's been discontinued) or I would have recommended it. 
 
Distance photo!


Want to see more Twinkle lenses? 
I have some other colors reviewed here: Violet, Green, Pink

Short summary:

Color: 7/10  
A medium, calming blue shade. It's not hyper vibrant but it stands out and blends well with light eyes.
Design: 7/10
A somewhat youthful yet delicate design with a dark brown dotted rim. Very likable.
Opacity: 7/10
Contrary to expectations (the colored portions are half transparent!) the color coverage is really solid.
Enlargement: 6/10
You can tell there's an enlargement effect but it's a nice size for most people, not too big.
Comfort: 8/10
Appears to be really comfortable, thin and I hardly feel them in my eyes. Estimated 4-5 hours on naturally dry and sensitive eyes.
Naturalness: 5/10
Slightly too big to really pass and not the most down-to-earth blue shade, otherwise not a half bad try.

Thank you for reading my blog~
Shiro Samurai says goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!