September 30, 2026

Lens review: Chromaview Silver Mirror

 Hello hello!

I'm back with a new colored contact lens review and today we'll be going over the Chromaview Silver Mirror lenses! This is a kind of special effects (or sfx in short) lens so it's not a circle lens, just something to keep in mind because not all colored lenses are circle lenses by design. :)

Let's go~



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14 mm
Water content: 42%
Life span: 30 days



It was exceedingly hard to photograph these lenses because they're quite literally a metallic, semi-transparent shiny color so yeah, they merge into the blister packs like two sneaky lens-shaped chameleons – illusion 100!

I bought these almost two years ago just for fun and because I think this kind of shiny metallic design is among the coolest types of crazy lenses on the market. In fact, many years ago I already had my first experience with this kind of reflective lens, namely the Kronos, and I remember being obsessed with the effect! Unfortunately the Kronos lenses, along with almost all other lenses from that particular brand/series, has been discontinued eons ago and it's been really hard to find a similar lens since. So when I came across the Chromaview Silver Mirror lenses I immediately recognized them as something similar to what I had been looking to re-experience!

One lens in.

You can see on the photo above that there's essentially no size enlargement, not on my eyes at least. A fun fact is that not every person has the same iris size so the enlargement effect of any particular contact lens is always individual, to some degree.

It's, uhh, kinda hard to explain what the lens looks like because it doesn't have a design in the traditional sense of the word? xD It's quite literally just a semi-solid silvery glittering foil effect with the same bright silver hue all throughout it – there's no patterning to speak of, there's no limbal ring, no blending towards the central opening, nothing. It's just 100% metallic sparkle effect with some slight soft blur towards the edges if you look really closely. It doesn't suffer from pixelation or uneven coverage. It's really good at what it does though, the provided effect is extremely eye-catching and mesmerizing!

These lenses have a rather small central opening, meaning that your vision will likely be somewhat obstructed in surroundings with weaker light conditions, particularly indoors and in dim environments.
I personally didn't experience the classic 'colored corners effect' but I did notice that these lenses blurred my vision somewhat, although nothing serious that inhibits normal functioning. The lenses are otherwise thin (although I could feel the lenses sitting on my eyes, as in I felt the outer edges) and a bit on the floppy side when it comes to handling and inserting. It's also surprisingly difficult to tell the wrong side and right side apart as the lenses look identical and the curve difference is minimal and can thus be challenging even for an experienced user to tell apart. I had to do double-takes.

Lens photos below!
All photos are taken by yours truly during a September afternoon with an almost clear sky. All close-ups are free from color filters etc so that the colors would appear as true to life as possible.

Natural room light indoors.

Yellow room light indoors.

Bathroom light.

Flash photo.

Facing a window indoors, not sun side.

Outdoors, facing the sun while under a shadow.

Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing wall)

Outdoors, facing the sun.

You might notice that my right eye (watcher's left) looks teary and irritated – that's because that lens was really awful to wear! You see, I originally had planned to wear these for my outfit at Koacon last month but the comfort turned out to be so unbearable right of the bat that I skipped the lenses altogether. I thought back then that maybe I just had some stubborn dirt on my finger or something because I tried to reinsert the affected lens three times before I gave up as my eyes got too agitated. When I tried these again at home, for the purpose of taking photos for this review, the exact same lens was painful once again and with the exact same kind of sensation – that kind of persistent scratchy feeling (on a specific area of the lens) that's extra stingy every time you blink. I tried to reinsert, clean the lens and my hands several times but it was always the same feeling when I put the lens back in and so I came to the conclusion that it's probably defective. It sucks but it happens. You can't always see that a lens is visibly defective even if you try to inspect it closely either, it's just bad luck.

I want to note here that the left lens (watcher's right) was okay to wear, it did not irritate my eye in the same way; only one lens was bad. Overall comfort seems to be below average for me though – it could be because the water content is on the lower end and that coupled with my naturally dry and sensitive eyes isn't exactly a match made in heaven, lol.
I couldn't wear even the good lens for long before I started to feel it drying and simply feeling it more in my eye. Although I can admit that I'm not a neutral baseline standard for measuring comfort and especially moisture retainment as my eyes dry so often and so aggressively even on day-to-day life (no lenses) that I have to use a ridiculous amount of eye drops just to be comfortable sometimes. :'D

A disclaimer here, for those who may be concerned, that as soon as I got the photos taken I removed and discarded the lenses; there's absolutely no reason to wear something uncomfortable any longer than absolutely necessary (even if it's brand new) and preferably not at all, although, in my case, 'necessary' entailed getting these photos taken to document this pair. Psst, you can sometimes get a refund for lenses that arrive defective, it's worth checking with customer service of the site you ordered from!

These lenses are not currently available at the store I bought them from, namely Coloured Contacts (this review is not sponsored), and when I checked today there was a pop-up front and center about their European warehouse having closed in March 2026, oh no! Such a bummer as I used to buy sfx lenses from this site as they had good deals and used to ship directly from the Netherlands. It seems like they have dismantled all the storefronts except the US and UK ones, so I assume only people residing in those countries can order (even Canada showed no available items) from here on out. I will have to find another trustworthy site within EU for my needs moving forward. :/

All in all to sum this up I want to say that, in terms of aesthetic impact and overall coolness factor, I can't fault these in any way, they're excellent at delivering a look that matches their namesake – 'silver mirror' is indeed a perfect description of what these look like. But as much as I'm disappointed over not having been able to wear and enjoy these to the extent I anticipated, due to one lens being defective, I still really love these and I would purchase them again in a heartbeat if I get the opportunity!
This is such a unique lens for any alt baddies, fantasy costumers and generally anyone who enjoys standing out and looking positively otherwordly.

There's only one tiny little thing I want to mention and it's that, depending on how the light reflects into the lens, there is a risk of looking temporarily cross-eyed. Nature doesn't care about symmetry. :'D

Distance photo!


Short summary:

Color: 10/10
Beautiful, highly shimmery silver color. It's elegant and exactly what you'd want!
Design: 10/10
It's a single, essentially solid-color lens with no artsy touches, just a holo glitter effect. But that's all it needs. You also don't notice spinning as there's no patterning.
Opacity: 9/10
Amazing yet refined coverage, I didn't expect it to block out my eye color as well as it does!
Enlargement: 1/10
I don't notice a difference on my eyes at all, if there is it's of such a small margin it's negligible.
Comfort: 3/10
I feel them despite them being thin when inserting. Blurs vision and was overall below average wear on sensitive, extra dry eyes. I probably can't wear these for more than a two-hour outing.
Naturalness: 2/10
The sparkly effect itself is far from natural, but the size is not. It doesn't look as freaky as some bold Halloween lenses but it's definitely outlandish for casual wear.

What outfit would you wear shimmery metal lenses like this with? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated before being published. Do refrain from spam, blatant ads and all kinds of hateful or otherwise offensive discourse. This blog follows a safe space principle.