Hellou guys ~
Now I will do a complete progress post of my Team Aqua Grunt cosplay - from beginning to end! I didn't take a crapload of photos because most things I had to do were
|Our Pokémon pirate villain reference,|
aka male Team Aqua Grunt.
When cutting the fabric we realized a horrible death was nearing us - we might not have enough blue fabric for pants and bandanas for both of our cosplays! D: After this knowledge infected our minds mom prioritized cutting out my pants first because they needed more fabric than Hasakitsuki's. Luckily after a lot of careful planning we ended up having just enough fabric after all! But it was a close call. The whole first day went into pattern searching, modifying and fabric cutting.
|Cut out fabric pieces all over the chair, progress for the day.|
On 31st July we returned to sew at mom's place
We had decided on using the fabric paint method to make the circle designs on both sides of the pants. Speaking of which, it was a bit of a search to figure out what the designs looked like but after seeing a few more references I could make it out.
|Picture from the anime showing that the circles are linked together.|
(also showing that generic Grunts have different hairstyles, wohoo freedom in wig choice!)
Except for working on the pants I hemmed all edges of the headpiece so that it'd look neat and crisp; the only thing left to do on it was to paint the iconic Team Aqua symbol. Mom gave us some white fabric paint -that had been lying around for years- and we took our almost finished bandanas home so that we could paint them at our apartment.
|Just a photo showing how I folded the very edges|
of the triangle (bandana) when I hemmed it.
|Tunnel pinning in progress...|
(feat. extreme camera color-rape! My pants turned turquoise!!)
|Best zigzag ever. xD Not.|
|My method of doing it. Photo taken before I sewed the elastic ends together.|
So eh, I ended up double folding the hem with 5 cm each to get the finished pants to be the right length for me. Yeah, 10 cm off. Hahah..
|Pant legs folded twice and ironed in place before sewing.|
On 3rd August we biked to mom's place to make some progress on the shirts as well as go fetch some scrap pieces of the blue fabric so that we could try fabric paint on it and see how it behaves.
Earlier we had decided on using a stretchy white tricot fabric for the shirt and then make the stripes out of a similar stretchy fabric instead of painting the stripes because, well, that would take a lot of paint. But we noticed at mom's place that she had no stretchy black fabric so we had to roll with a very dark blue instead. Good enough, if you ask me.
We spent way too long cutting all the stripe pieces out of the blue-black and the white fabric and it was hellish because the fabric was alive; I swear you would have needed to hammer it in place or something when cutting because it went everywhere!
|Sleeve pattern folded in half to make the dark stripe part of it..|
When I had cut out all the body stripe pieces -as well as the sleeve pieces- I just used mom's overlock machine and frankensteined them together into whole parts.
|Gotta love overlock seams <3 Quick and neat!|
|Fabric paint test. It looked good.. until it dried.|
(pic taken directly after painting)
|Team Aqua symbol cut out..|
|.. and drafted in the middle of the bandana.|
|Good enough. 8C|
|It's starting to look like something!|
|Sleeve hemming in progress.|
But I did manage to get my hands on some stuff that I would need for the Team Aqua cosplay during these stressy times! During Nerdcon on 16th August Hitsuyū went to fetch me some white fabric paint that was meant for darker fabric colors (turns out the one I had used previously was for light fabrics - no wonder it sucked!) while I was working in the con's cafeteria. Also on the beginning of September me and Hasakitsuki went into a Tokmanni store and found a cheapo 2-pack of black fabric gloves that we decided were close enough and thus bought.
After half a forever of no progress finally -on 20th December- I drafted a big circle on some pattern paper. Said circle was of course for the design of the pants. I just took some measures to figure out the best size for the circle pattern and used a round candy box and the bottom of a bottle of gesso to draw a perfect circle, hihi. Later on the same day me and Hasakitsuki went to Jäätynyt Enkeli's place
|Ring design drafted on pants with pencil|
|Painting in progress (first layer of paint)|
|One side completed!|
Team Aqua Grunt preview and possible photoshoot will come later! See ya!