March 25, 2019

Lens review: EOS New Adult Gray

Hello peeps!

It's time for the first lens review of the year and yeah, I should have done like a dozen reviews by now but shit happened. ^^" I have a huge backlog of lenses that I need to review and, sadly, the expiration date is past on a majority of them (by a month or such, nothing terrible) so I quite frankly just take the review photos and then immediately throw them away – ain't gambling my sight any more than necessary. This also means that all mentions regarding comfort are based on first impressions and estimates only, on this review and on upcoming reviews for like a couple months ahead, while I work through getting up to date.

Okay so, today is the day for EOS New Adult Gray (also sometimes known as Blytheye Gray), quite honestly one of my favorite gray cosplay lenses on the market right now. I can't quite put my finger on what with these lenses is so alluring but I swear there's something about them that just speaks volumes to me. And I don't even care for gray lenses normally lol.



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.0 mm
Water content: 38%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


Chances are that by now you've at the very least heard about the EOS New Adult series – it's a long-running and highly popular circle lens with a medium smallish size and great color, favored by cosplayers in particular. Not to be confused with the EOS Adult series, the predecessor to the New Adult that were paler and more natural overall. Tbh I'm not sure if the original Adult series are still being produced or if they were discontinued some years ago, but the New Adult sure is going strong.

Always put lenses to soak at least the night before wearing them. Don't ask, just do it. It's better for your eyes. Like really.

One lens in.
The color is no doubt very costume friendly, it's a really pale and opaque gray that looks surreal in some way. It gives my eyes an instant mesmerizing, almost piercing gaze! It's honestly super pretty and makes me immediately think of beautiful supernatural beings like elves with crystal-like eyes and such. Nordic folklore also comes to mind.
I remember having a "whoah" reaction when I looked in the mirror, that's how striking the effect is in real life!

My natural eye color is a light blue-gray (gray-blue? whatever) and it goes really well with these lenses. I mean, sure, you can tell at the center where the lens ends and my real iris begins but it doesn't look that odd. There's no smooth fading effect to make the lenses blend at the pupil hole, but I don't think it matters all that much with lenses that are as vibrant as these as it wouldn't be able to achieve a hyper realistic blending anyway.

Lens photos ahead!
All photos taken by me during a March morning with a cloudy sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light indoors.
Yellow room light.
Bathroom light.
Poor natural room light indoors. (near a corridor)
Flash photo.
Facing window. (not sun side)
Outdoors, with my back against the sun.
Outdoors, facing the direction of the sun. Cloudy.
Such a shame the sun disappeared as soon as I was ready to take pics. Boo.
There is this thin limbal ring, adding definition but not overdoing it. The design itself is fairly simple but that's a good selling point as it makes for versatility. I'm not sure how well these would go for like daily looks as the color is quite bright and vibrant and it does stand out and look borderline ethereal, depending on the light. But definitely get these for any kind of costuming if you need a pale gray lens!

As I wrote above I can only grade comfort based on first impressions but I'll have you know that my eyes are ultra dry and sensitive, which means that anything with 4 hours or more of wearing time is really good in my case. With that said these lenses felt super thin, invisible and generally really comfortable to wear. I did not notice any stinginess, eyes tearing up or anything. Truth be told I didn't feel like I had lenses on at all! I suspect they would clock in at 4-5 hours for me, which is like 6-8 hours for someone blessed with less bitchy eyes, lol.

Distance photos!



Looking for reviews on more New Adult lenses? 
Look no further, I got ya covered: Green

Short summary:

Color: 10/10 
Most beautiful pale gray lens that I know of. Perfect for cosplay and larp (live-action roleplay).
Design: 9/10 
Natural yet somehow unnatural at the same time. Gorgeous either way.
Opacity: 9/10
Really pigmented and covers my real eye color easily.
Enlargement: 5/10 
Medium to small I'd say.
Comfort: 7/10 
Appears to be really comfy based on my impressions. Super thin, invisible and no immediate discomfort nor vision impairments. Estimated 4-5 hours on super ultra dry eyes.
Naturalness: 3/10 
Not too bad in terms of size but hey, have you seen that color man? I swear they look lighter in real life than on camera.

Thank you so much for reading, have you tried a New Adult lens yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!