November 14, 2018

Lens review: I-Codi Colors of the Wind Lemon Tea

Guuuuys!

I'm excited to bring this review to you! Ever since I first found out about the massive range of colors that I-Codi's Colors of the Wind series had I've been dying to try some out! It's by far the single lens series with the largest color selection that I know of. Today I'll show you the I-Codi Colors of the Wind Lemon Tea, a natural-ish yellow lens that I bought for cosplay!




Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 15.0 mm
Water content: 38%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)





As I said I got these for cosplay, mainly because it's really hard to find yellow lenses and even harder to find some yellow lenses that aren't crazy lenses. Big reason for why I was so stoked when I found the Colors of the Wind series is because there was a whole army of colors that you normally don't bump into all too often, combined with a really versatile design that is highly likable.

Unlike most circle lenses these come packaged in a stylish cardboard box that is color coded for each lens (Lemon Tea is number 14). The vials are really stylish too, I love the design – it feels so luxurious!

One lens in.
My real eye color is a light blue-gray and that's often a problem with especially green lenses turning muddy – I was worried that yellow lenses would thus meet the same fate (as the color is similar) but thankfully these stayed yellow, victory! It's so hard to find yellow lenses that aren't either crazy lenses or overly "artistic"; I wanted something that would look fairly natural in terms of design and I'm so happy with these. The yellow color looks yellow, a kinda soft shade but still clearly yellow. I love these so much and yeah, because of the design being similar to a real iris it makes these lenses in turn really versatile in use – cosplay, fashion and even a daily lens. 

The size increase is there but it doesn't feel like the main point of the lenses, just a nice little bonus. You won't thus get massive dolly eyes from these but they'll provide a slight boost to make your eyes even more alluring.

Lens photos below!
All photos taken by yours truly during an afternoon with a clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light indoors.
Yellow room light indoors.
Bathroom light.
Poor natural light indoors. (standing in a corridor)
Flash photo.
Facing window, shadow side. (weirdly blue in camera...)
Outdoors. Facing the sun while it was barely blocked by a roof.
Outdoors, back against sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing sun while being under a shadow.
Outdoors, facing sun.
It's not the purest, brightest yellow there is but it's really natural for being an unnatural color. It's a lens that fascinates me because of the color's rarity – I wish more brands would make yellow lenses! It might be too discreet for some as the yellow will appear differently in different lights but it's a curiosity and, depending on your needs and preferences, a very viable option. Some yellows have a tint of brown in them but I feel like these don't really have that, it feels like a "clean color".

Comfort is pretty okay. It's not mindblowing by any means but I've managed to wear these for around 4 hours at a con, which is already better than average when it comes to my dry and merciless eyes. They are fairly invisible to wear overall but I think there were some occasional minor discomfort, like maybe stinging for a second or some such. I'd think that wearing time is around the 3-5 hour mark on super dry eyes.

Summa summarum is that this is one of the very limited natural yellow lenses currently available. Great for cosplay if you don't want to have to resort to using too fake-looking crazy lenses. It's a lens worth trying if you like to try new things or have a fondness for unnatural colors in particular. I think these would be great for live-action roleplay and for dressing up as fantasy creatures too – imagine like a wizard or a magical warrior with yellow eyes! :D Cosplay is of course a given and I think these would be a great asset to spice up a lot of more alternative fashion looks too. Go for it if these pick your interest!

Distance photo!


Short summary:

Color: 8/10
Natural but still very much yellow. One of the few non-crazy yellows currently in the market.

Design: 8/10
Mimics a real iris and is thus a solid multi-purpose lens. Great look!
Opacity: 7/10 
I was prepared for these to turn an ugly, undistinguished color but yellow they are. So relieved!
Enlargement: 4/10
Not particularly big in any way. A slight enlargement boost.
Comfort: 7/10 
Somewhere between good and great I guess. I can wear them for half a con day, despite having super dry eyes. Sometimes there's some very short-lived discomfort but it's nothing in the long run.
Naturalness: 5/10
Thanks to the design and the softness of the color these look surprisingly natural for being, well, yellow.

Thanks for reading, I hope you found this review interesting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!