April 22, 2019

Lens review: ICK Petal Blue

Hi everyone!

Yeah it's one more lens review again, this time the ICK Petal Blue that I have been drawn to ever since the first time I saw them – the design is really different and, as far as I know, there's not a "copy lens" out there with the same design.



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 15.0 mm
Water content: 42%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)



If you look closely you'll notice that the colored area is actually not just a solid blue color but in fact a detailed, really artistic pattern. I don't know what it reminds you of but, as a gamer, my first thought was that it looks like that kind of symbol that appears when a character is casting a magical spell in JRPGs and such. xD 

One lens in.
My natural eye color is a light blue gray mix and these lenses go really well with that. They fade beautifully towards the center, erasing any risk of a 'clashing effect' – it could be that a lot of the good blending comes from both the lenses and my eyes being blue but I do think that the Petal series will likely be good at this regardless of eye color as the design is soft and has varying transparency.

The color is a pretty, fresh and youthful blue. It's not too unnatural of a shade but it certainly still stands out. These lenses also come across as really dolly, thanks to the thick dark limbal ring and the overall big size. When worn these lenses remind me of the popular 'Candy' lenses (EOS Sugar Candy and Vassen Sakura Candy etc) in terms of overall look, except that these are softer in appearance and I'm pretty sure that the Petal lenses have the black rim a bit toned down in intensity.

Lens photos ahead!
All photos taken by me during an April morning with a clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Indoors natural room light.
Indoors yellow room light.
Shitty (natural) room light in a dark corridor.
Flash photo.
Facing window, not sun side.
Outdoors, back against sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing the sun while being under a shadow.
Outdoors, facing the sun.
I like these lenses, they are gorgeous and have that perfect look for j-fashion and 'anime eyes'. These lenses are magical, mystical and sport just enough color to keep it interesting! Sadly the pattern is only really visible up close, but that's to be expected with pretty much any circle lens on which intricate designs are a part of the color itself and not like drawn in black or something. The I.Fairy Trinity Green comes to mind to illustrate what I mean with 'drawn in black'. 
But honestly, I'd recommend getting these if this kind of lens is a part of your aesthetic.

Comfort is fine. Thin and overall pleasant to wear, no itchiness or some such. I noticed they started perhaps to dry a bit early but that's impossible to say for certain as my eyes are ridiculously dry naturally and it's hard to know if it's the lenses or just my eyes having a bad day.

Distance photo~


Want more ICK Petal reviews?
Check these: Brown, Green
 
Short summary:

Color: 7/10 
A cute fresh, soft and soothing blue. A bit light in shade but really pretty.
Design: 8/10 
Unique print with what to me looks like a magical casting spell design. Super nice!
Opacity: 6/10
Color coverage is decent, my eyes look blue for sure but it's not insanely opaque or anything.
Enlargement: 7/10 
Definitely a notable size increase. Dolly and adorable.
Comfort: 7/10 
Thin and comfy in general, no real issues. Maybe dries a bit fast but that could just as well be my naturally dry eyes having a bad day. Estimated wear 3-5 hours on super dry eyes, probably like 4-7 on 'normal eyes'.
Naturalness: 4/10 
Ignore the dolly style and it's actually not that bad, thanks to how delicate the appearance is.

Thanks for reading my circle lens reviews, there's more to come!
Shiro Samurai out ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!