August 27, 2018

Lens review: ColourVue Phantasee White Tornado

Yo peeps!

I still have some more ColourVue lenses to review so hang on and enjoy the ride while it lasts, it's not so often that I've reviewed crazy lenses in the past. ;) Today it's a day for the ColourVue Phantasee White Tornado which, unlike their name, is actually primarily a red lens. I can't help but think that White Tornado sounds like the name of a Digimon attack or something. xD




Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.0 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)




I bought these out of curiosity and because I thought a red and white lens seemed really cool. It's a jagged swirly design with pretty big spikes and it looks quite wild! You'll also notice that the center of the lens is this kind of red-tinted white and the white gets purer the farther towards the edges it gets – the red is the dominant color so when worn the lenses appear more red than white, especially from a distance.

One lens in.
My eyes are a light blue-gray (gray-blue?) and there's no doubt about the color coverage being what you'd expect from a crazy type lens. As you can see the white is not really all that noticeable as the red is kinda deep in shade and takes all attention. The effect is pretty rad as these lenses are pretty unique in their design and color choice; my thoughts go to zombie eyes or any kind of possessed or otherwordly being! It's not a big lens as there's only a really minor size boost and thus it's suitable for most wearers, regardless of eye shape.
By the way, it's super easy to tell the right side apart from the wrong side as the wrong side is red.

Lens photos below!
All photos taken by yours truly during an August afternoon with a semi-cloudy sky. All close-up photos are free from color filters and such and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.


Natural room light indoors.
Yellow room light indoors.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
Unlit corridor.
Facing window. (shadow side)
Outdoors, back against sun.
Outdoors, facing sun while being under a harsh shadow.
Outdoors, facing sun.
Comfort felt okay. There might be some slight blur in the corners of my vision (especially in poorer lights) but nothing annoying. I had no trouble inserting these lenses and they don't feel scratchy or anything of the sort. I don't feel them much while wearing them and I am overall happy with them as comfort is a touchy thing for me as I have ridiculously dry and sensitive eyes. My personal estimate is that wearing time for me is about 2-5 hours, which is decent in my standards. Anything past 3 hours is good for me, which would probably equal the double for someone with "normal" eyes. 

All in all it's a fun and funky lens. I think it's best suited for horror, evil being and sci-fi costumes  and for those who have a knack for red lenses in particular. It might work for some alternative fashion too but not for every style, you'd want to go for the bolder and more vibrant looks I think. One thing to note though is that the farther away the viewer is the more these lenses will look like more regular red lenses – the white parts will blend into your eyes.

Distance photo, as per usual.


Short summary:

Color: 9/10 
Bold medium dark crazy type lens in white and red. The color is definitely there.
Design: 8/10 
Funky design with big rotating spikes. Red is the primary color while the white is not a pure white and mostly serves as a backdrop to enhance the red's effect.
Opacity: 9/10
Really opaque, as is to be expected from this kind of lens.
Enlargement: 2/10 
Really small, there's only a teeny tiny enlargement.
Comfort: 7/10 
Decent. No noticeable issues and wearing time on the better end of average, on dry eyes.
Naturalness: 1/10 
Assuming you're human and not some dark being then no.

Thanks for reading my blog, it's much appreciated. ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!