August 20, 2018

Lens review: ColourVue Phantasee Summer

Hello peeps!

Oh shit, I was not supposed to leave my blog unattended for so long! I am waaayyy behind my posting schedule right now and it's stressing me the fuck out, not gonna lie. I have so many more reviews to make but at the same time I don't have the energy to actively blog right now and everything's just... aargh. Oh well, I'll do what I can so let's get on with today's post before I forget what I was about to write. xD

Today it's time to review the ColourVue Phantasee Summer contact lenses. It's kind of a crazy lens but still not quite! I will be reviewing some more ColourVue lenses soon so if you are curious about this kind of lenses then keep an eye on my blog, yo.




Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.0 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)



I remember buying a bunch of ColourVue lenses when they were on sale at LensVillage for a long time ago, although it seems like they've cut their sortiment since then. I've always been drawn to this kind of bold, fantasy-like lenses and so I splurged and bought a lot in different styles and colors. I must admit I was a bit surprised when I took these out of the packaging and noticed that it was just yellow, not yellow with black like on the images!

I think the Phantasee series is aiming for fantasy styles, like the name implies. The lenses are still really opaque and bold but yet somewhat 'softer' and more artistic than your average crazy lens. I like the uniqueness of the designs and wish these wouldn't be so hard to find nowadays!

One lens in.
There's not much of a size increase going on but the yellow color is bright as fuck, especially as yellows are so rare. The color looks a bit weird on light eyes like mine but it's still a pretty cool (sick?) effect! I think these would look their best on really dark eyes but that's just a guess. Whatever the case it's a pretty rad lens and I dig the spiky swirl effect – it's not every day you get to try on some screaming yellow swirly lenses so I give major points for that.

Lens photos below!
All photos taken by yours truly during an August afternoon with a semi-cloudy sky. All close-up photos are free from color filters and such and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light in my apartment.
Yellow room light in my apartment.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
Facing a window.
Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing the sun. (it's hidden behind a thin veil of clouds)
I feel like the print is at the very edges of my irises, which just might make it seem like the ends of the lens are darker as it's so close to the outer rim of my eyes (which is naturally a bit darker than the center). Wow, that sounded clumsy but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. ^^"

The comfort is pretty good. These lenses feel really thin and I actually had some problems trying to get them on because of their thinness, lol. I don't feel them in my eyes and I would estimate wearing time to be around 3-5 hours, which is pretty damn good in my standards as my eyes rival the Sahara desert in dryness levels. I don't really notice any vision blur, irritation or such and I sometimes even forget that I'm wearing lenses... until I look in the mirror.

The color slightly disappears when viewed from a distance but that's probably because it's not a design that fully covers your iris to begin with you can still obviously tell there's something going on as yellow is noticeable simply because it's not a natural color. 

I think this is a cool lens for those who want to stand out, especially for more visual and/or dark fashion styles (visual kei, cyber styles, goth etc) and of course fantasy. It's a fun and unique lens and it could also see some cosplay use. I like these lenses a lot, despite my natural eye color probably not being the best canvas to go with these. It's a good choice for those who want to try something a bit out of the ordinary!

Distance photo!


Want to see the "season" series in another color?
Check this out: Winter

Short summary:

Color: 9/10 
Bright medium warm yellow. Summery, yes, but also kinda... sickly? In a cool way!
Design: 9/10 
Stylized jagged swirly print. It looks cool and artistically crude at the same time.
Opacity: 9/10
The colored parts have really solid coverage. Just wish the color would reach deeper to the center.
Enlargement: 2/10 
Eeeeh, not really? I can spot a small difference but it's nothing to write home about.
Comfort: 8/10 
Really thin and pleasant to wear overall. Estimated wearing time around 3-5 hours on super dry eyes.
Naturalness: 1/10 
Unless you're some kind of wizard of magical creature then no, not really.

Thanks for reading. More Phantasee reviews coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!