Way back on 5th April I continued the leg armor work by drawing a pattern for the knee cap part of the armor. I had to make a few versions before I came up with one that seemed right. The early ones had a dent at the middle but I scrapped that idea on the final version.
|The final pattern version|
With the pattern at hand I took the polystyrene and cut out two pieces...
... and then came the heat gun treatment to shape the plastic.
After having shaped the knee parts of the armor I took one of the leg pieces and tried the fit against it. I had to go reshape the knee parts a few times to get them to fit as well as possible and without leaving "empty space" where the bent parts of both pieces met.
|Testing the fit|
|I tried hot glue, construction adhesive (?), pvc glue, epoxy resin and allround glue... and nothing worked. Fuck. :)|
|... and sanded.|
Equipped with a glue that gave me hope I decided to tackle the damn plastic again, but this time trying the glue on the actual armor parts and not just scrap pieces as before. So with a helping hand from stepdad we glued the knee caps to the armor pieces at the marked lines and secured them to dry over the night.
|You better be stuck together when I return... *glare*|
I could have been happy at this point.. but colored by the reminder of earlier gluing failures and some justified iffyness I decided to be extra-super-duper safe and reinforce the part that attaches the knee cap to the leg armor with some rivets. So on 26th April I marked where to drill the armors.
|Holes marked with a pencil. There's 4 holes.|
|Hand riveting tool|
|Front with rivets (surface paint cracked a bit)|
|A "trimmed" rivet backside|
|Preparations - sanding papers, armors and a chunk of finnfoam to wrap sanding paper around|
|Front leg armors front sanded|
|Back leg armors front sanded|
Because of the earlier sanding there was dust of the spray spread over the armor surfaces and so, to clean it, I had to use white spirit.
I just used some tissue paper, put some white spirit on it and wiped the surfaces clean of dust. After that I let them dry for around 2 hours outside and then returned to recoat the fronts of all the armor pieces.
|Newly sprayed coat of paint on top front sides|
|Maximum flaking. Fuck. :)|
I tried softly rubbing my finger against the flaking surface and...
|... almost all of the (sanded) spray coat fell right off!|
|And on all the untreated back sides to boot!|
On 24th June I decided to try them on and crossed my fingers but somehow I had a feeling it wouldn't go well. Guess if I was right? :DD
Before starting I cut out lengths of white cotton ribbon and sat down on the floor and started tying the armors on one of my legs. I started with the backside armor and at first everything seemed alright but when I started with the front armor I noticed things started screwing up. First of the armors wouldn't stay where intended and they would constantly turn to either the right or left and, secondly, the lower ties would slide down if I moved and sometimes if I didn't -.- and thus the armor would "pop out". I guess it slides down because the surface is kinda... plasticy/slippery (there's no grip) and because feet get narrower closer to the ankle. Frustrating to say the least.
|Testing. Notice backside armor has "popped out" from the lower tie..|