April 5, 2022

Lens review: I-Codi Funcle F105

 Hello nerds!

It's once again time for another circle lens review but this time it's gonna be something a bit different from the usual. I will be reviewing a Funcle lens, which is an animation lens series made by I-Codi. This particular lens is inspired by the style of the well-known Sharingan (lit. Copy Wheel Eye) eyes from the Naruto anime! Review of I-Codi Funcle F105 coming through, let's go!



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.2 mm
Water content: 55%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)
 


This is very obviously a Sharingan styled lens although it's not mentioned in the marketing it's simply known under the number F105 in Funcle's series. I can't vouch for these being 100% accurate or canon as there's several different evolved forms of Sharingan eyes throughout the Naruto manga and each character tends to have their unique Sharingan designs too.
For those not familiar with the Naruto series Sharingan is one of the Three Great Eye Techniques (the other two being Byakugan and Rinnegan) and it's a special type of doujutsu (pupil technique) that is most known from the Uchiha clan. The Sharingan's best known ability is to copy any ninja technique that it sees the opponent using. It's pretty dope!

One lens in.

This is a very opaque lens, as is to be expected by any colored contact lenses that dabble into the crazy lens territory. It has a simple but thin black rim around the edges, a very red color with great color coverage and a Mangekyou Sharingan inspired print with lines and those pinwheel points at the center. And before you ask, yes they do spin in your eyes somewhat so you might want to keep a small pocket mirror around if you wear this type of lens to an anime convention and don't want to look cross-eyed lol. I noticed that, for some reason, the lens on my right eye spun more eagerly than the one on my left eye which mostly stayed put; it's possibly explained by the fact that I normally wear glasses with prisms to correct my tendency for double vision and my right eye "slips away" a lot easier than my left when I'm not wearing glasses.

But anygays, this is not a very enlarging lens so it's not gonna make your eyes look huge or anything. There is a small size increase but it's not all that noticeable and honestly, every person out there will notice that your eyes are bright red before noticing that they're a tad bigger than normal lmao. I want to mention one thing and that's the interesting little tidbit that, despite these lenses being super opaque when worn, they do have a slight hint of transparency (when compared to other crazy/animation lenses of other brands) that is quite peculiar! You don't really notice it at first but in certain bright lights like sunshine and such you can see that the red part of the lens actually lets through a miniscule amount of light which makes it look like they 'glow' a bit. It's really hard to describe but I couldn't help but notice it when I've worn so many other ultra compact crazy lenses before that block out all light!

Lens photos incoming!
All photos taken by me during an afternoon with a mostly clear sky.
There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light indoors.

Bathroom light.

Facing a window, backyard view (not sun side).

Flash photo indoors.

Outdoors, back against the sun (facing wall).

Outdoors, facing the sun while standing under the roof's shadow.

Outdoors, facing the sun directly.

Sadly these lenses were part of those that I had completely forgotten about so yeah, they had expired by the time I (re)found them and got around to do this review. This means I can't grade comfort properly as I only wore them for the time necessary to take the review photos and then discarded them. Do not wear expired lenses for a con because you want to save money or whatnot, just please don't. It's not worth the risks!
What little I can say from my first and only time wearing these bad boys (which was about 10-20 minutes) regarding comfort was that these lenses were absurdly comfortable. I mean really, I almost find it funny that out of all possible lenses it's the fucking Sharingans that are the comfiest lenses I've tried in literal ages? xD Of course there were the red corners at the edges of my vision, which is to be expected with this type of lenses (as the pupil hole is generally smaller than on your average circle lens) although it wasn't particularly disturbing or anything, in fact you get used to it really quickly. There is the risk though that if you move your gaze around a lot quickly it can make you feel a bit nauseous with the bright red flashing at the edges of your vision, especially if you're not used to the effect.
All in all I wouldn't be surprised at all if I could wear these for at least 4-5 hours if they hadn't been expired, and that's a long time considering my eyes are naturally really dry (I have to spam eyedrops periodically and that's without lenses, so yeah).

I would honestly recommend these Sharingan inspired lenses if you can find them somewhere, especially if you aren't on the lookout for any super specific Sharingan style for a certain existing character like Madara or Sasuke. Apparently ifairycon doesn't carry these anymore sadly, that's where I bought mine years ago. Regardless these get thumbs up from me and a parrot sticker.

Distance photo!

Yes, I totally did a random Naruto OC for this review. :D

Short summary:

Color: 10/10 
Very bright and clearly red color, it works for its intended purpose.
Design: 8/10 
A bit simplified, when compared to other Sharingan-styled lenses, but it's still obviously recognizable as one.
Opacity: 10/10
No qualms here, it's very covering as this style of lenses should be.
Enlargement: 3/10 
There's a slight enlargement effect but it's not really all that noticeable.
Comfort: 9/10 
Appears to be hilariously comfortable. Thin and invisible to wear, I literally didn't feel them at all! Red corners in vision, as expected.
Naturalness: 0/10 
No, don't even come at me claiming otherwise. No Uchihas in this world.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions then leave a comment! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!