January 14, 2021

Lens review: Super Pinky Black

Hello in da house!

It's time to start the new year 2021 and, as I said in the previous post, there's gonna be a lot of circle lens reviews this year too as I still have quite a stockpile to go through. Rip me and my hoarding tendencies. ;_; I will quickly review the Super Pinky Black this time around and yes, this should be my last Super Pinky review.

Let's go!
 


Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.8 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)
 

I honestly don't quite remember where I bought these lenses all those years ago, most stores that carried the Super Pinky series did not have the black ones for some reason. But I saw these somewhere and curiosity got the better of me so yeah, had to try. 
 
These are identical to the other Super Pinky lenses, except that they are black of course. I've only worn two different black lenses before this so it's a color I don't have a lot of experience with. I think part of the excitement for me, as a light-eyed caucasian, is because black as a color is such a huge contrast to my naturally gray-blue eyes.
 
One lens in.
 
Well, these are actually not super dark or anything. When worn it's more like a dark gray rather than a full-on black, if that makes sense. It's not opaque by any means but it's not like I expected them to be either. The design of the lens resembles a human iris and is semi-realistic; the color is in this kind of streaky pattern with varying intensity, meaning that some parts are more transparent than others. The print is simple, versatile and likable. They blend surprisingly well with my real eye color!

The size is commendable. It's a pretty big lens but not humongous. If you want moe moe cutesy eyes these will work but they can be worn for other looks as well.
 
Lens photos below! 
All photos taken by me during a completely cloudy January noon. All photos are free from filters and the like to be as close to real life as possible.
 
Indoors, natural room light.

Indoors, yellow room light.

Flash photo.

Unlit corridor, very poor natural light in the distance.

Facing a window indoors, not sun side.

Outdoors, back against where the sun would be if it was visible.

Outdoors, facing where the sun would have been.
 
As with most of my lens reviews lately I can't really grade comfort as I'm only doing these reviews to show photos of lenses that have already expired, sadly. I bought a lot of lenses several years back and then the years went by so fast I did not have time to wear them... and simply forgot I had so many. I know it's a waste but I figured I'd at least take photos quickly so that maybe these reviews can help someone out there. *shrugs* And yes, I immediately discard all expired lenses once I'm done taking photos (approximately 10 minutes) and, for the love of god, please don't wear expired lenses to anime conventions or such to save money.

But the little I can tell from my first and only impressions of wearing these lenses was that they felt thin, I didn't really feel much that I was wearing lenses and they seemed overall to be comfortable. There was a slight vision blur when I was indoors in poor light conditions but that's most likely caused by the pupil hole being somewhat smaller than on your average circle lens. Which often is a good thing as it makes it so that less of your real eye color is visible in the center.

Distance photo. Yep, coronavirus fashion with bathrobe and face mask. xD


Want to see the Super Pinky lenses in other colors?
Check out these reviews:
Violet, Red, Green, Wine Red
 
Short summary:

Color: 7/10 
Very dark gray more than a true black, still a nice color and works surprisingly well on light eyes.
Design: 6/10 
Simple iris-like design with a streaky print. Versatile.
Opacity: 8/10
It definitely changes my eye color visibly so I can't really complain.
Enlargement: 7/10 
Definitely on the big side but the lack of a pronounced limbal ring hampers the illusion a tad.
Comfort: 7/10 
Appears to be solid. Thin and I don't feel them much. Slight vision blur in poor lights. Expected 3-4 hours of wear on super dry eyes.
Naturalness: 3/10 
Would probably look more natural on brown eyes but it's not bad on me either?

Thanks for reading! Feel free to drop a comment if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!