February 17, 2017

Lens review: Super Pinky Green

Hello marshmallows!

This is gonna be a lens review with a touch of nostalgy – you see, when I first started wearing colored contact lenses for cosplay in 2013 I started out with the Super Pinky lenses, namely the violet pair and then the red. In a way it feels like it was sooooo long ago and still, strangely enough, it feels like it could have been last week, haha. Time flies by so fast!
But hey, today I will review the Super Pinky Green lenses!


Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.8 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)



Okay so, the Super Pinky lenses are a fairly opaque lens with a good color coverage. It's not super heavy on the color front by any means, but it blends nicely with my real eye color (light gray-blue), making my eyes notably big and green but not with the same type of intense coverage as some other lenses I've worn; in a way I'd almost say that they are semi-realistic.

The thing that makes the Super Pinky lenses good is that they are one of the few colorful circle lenses on the market that, despite their big size, actually has a small pupil hole. This means that less than usual of your real eye color will be glaringly obvious because it won't show through as much in the center than on your average circle lens. This is a trait that some light-eyed circle lens wearers really appreciate and I know that it bothers quite a few too; I'm not horribly concerned about it personally but it's always a plus because the 'color clash' effect that especially light-eyed wearers suffer from isn't always nice, especially when cosplaying – it can ruin the illusion because too much of your real eye color is showing through to be convincing...
So yeah, if big pupil holes bother you and you're a (light-eyed) cosplayer
then look into the Super Pinky series!

One lens in. Notice enlargement.
The design on the Super Pinky lenses is nothing really fancy or otherwordly – it's a semi-natural print that seems to mimic a real iris, except that it's a lot bigger. Seriously, the size of these is nothing to laugh at! These make my peepers huge, no joke. A nice bonus with these lenses is that they might create a nice halo effect!
I already talked a bit about the color earlier but yeah, it's a nice medium green (a true green that doesn't appear bluish in any lights!) and it shows up really well while still maintaining a not-too-obvious look; it goes well with my natural eye color. What I mean is basically that these lenses don't look fake or costume-y, if you know what I mean. :D With that said I'd feel safe to say that the Super Pinky lenses are quite versatile – you could use them for cosplay as well as many different j-fashion styles without a problem.

Lens photos ahead!
All photos are taken by me during a February afternoon with a semi-clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Apartment room light, natural (window) light.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
Facing a window in the corridor.
White light in the corridor.
Yellow light in the staircase.
Indoors storage room.
Indoors storage room.. again. :D Different light thou!
Outdoors, back against sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing sun.
In case someone's missed it the Super Pinky series, at least back in the day, used to be a really popular cosplay lens – that's also the reason why the Super Pinky lenses were the first ones I tried when I started out with circle lenses. I of course wanted the safety of picking a pair that I had heard good things about and, even though back then I thought they were of good comfort (then again, I had nothing to compare with) I've later on come to realize that, in actuality, I've had a lot better lenses since then. I'm not saying that the comfort is bad or anything, it's kinda sub-par or average or what you wanna call it – definitely wearable but not something I'd cheer loudly for since I've had better. Then again, I do have rather dry and sensitive eyes so that does play its part as well. 
But yeah, even after just one hour of wear I can feel how these slowly but surely dry out my eyes. They also felt uncomfortable upon insertion, I could feel them really clearly when I moved my eyes around, blinked or did anything – luckily my eyes get used to them after a couple minutes or so.
These lenses go on and off in comfort, I can sometimes feel how they get random dry bouts that sting my eyes and then, suddenly, they're back to normal again! They also sometimes blur my vision for a few seconds. I'd say that average wearing time would be around 2-4 hours.


Distance photo!


Want to see the Super Pinky lenses in other colors?
Check out these reviews:
Violet, Red, Wine Red, Black
 
Short summary:

Color: 7/10 
A semi-natural medium green that stays green and looks good.
Design: 5/10 
Simple. Seems to mimic a real iris.
Opacity: 7/10
Decent color coverage.
Enlargement: 8/10 
These are big, like seriously.
Comfort: 4/10 
Average-ish for me. Uncomfortable upon insertion and I get random dry bouts that sting my eyes. Comfort goes on and off, really unpredictable. I can wear them approximately 2-4 hours without eyedrops.
Naturalness: 4/10 
Fairly natural but way too big to really pass for real eyes.

Thanks for viewing! Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions ~
Shiro Samurai out. 

3 comments:

  1. They seem cute, i like how they look on you :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, these look so good on you! ;; <3

    These lenses don't have that great comfort, I agree on that... It's kind of sad since I'd like to wear my own pair of these more often - despite being simple these lenses are quite beautiful.

    It was interesting to read your opinion about these! Great review, once again~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We have uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post.
    contact lenses online

    ReplyDelete

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!