August 3, 2020

Lens review: GEO Color Nine Light Red

Hello folks!

I'm continuing with the circle lens reviews again, need to pick up the pace as the sunlight hours will soon start decreasing and that's gonna make things harder for me. ^^" Today I'm reviewing the GEO Color Nine Light Red, a tiny dark red lens that is quite suitable for cosplay if you need said color.

Let's go! 



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.2 mm
Water content: 40±2
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


I honestly bought these ages ago and have no memory from what site; they seem a bit hard to find and I remember they were hard to find all those years ago too. It's almost as if I wonder if this series has been discontinued since then? Whatever the case I will still review them as it's a nice lens and this color is pretty hard to come by.

One lens in.
This is a quite small lens, there's not a particularly big enlargement effect although there is a black rim that does add an illusion of bigger eyes.  They are just slightly bigger than my natural iris as you can see, pretty good if you don't want moe eyes. :) I would maybe recommend these if you need dark red lenses for a serious or shounen type anime character cosplay.

So it's a super dark red, like really dark. The darkest red lens I've worn to date, I think? It's a deep color, a bit wine red in shade but it's intense and definitely cool. The design is quite simple but sometimes less is more! I would say that the design and modest size makes these very versatile. The opacity is great, I have nothing to complain about as it obviously changes my eye color. One might notice though that when you look closer the whole print of the lens itself is made up of countless tiny dots, this makes it so that your real eye color does somewhat affect the final color outcome – in my case the lenses have a slight hue of a cherry red in the vials but turn blood red when worn.

Lens photos ahead ~
All photos taken by me during an August noon with a clear sky.
There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Indoors natural room light.
Indoors yellow room light.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
In a corridor with poor, distant natural light only.
Facing a window. (not sun side)
Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing the wall)
Outdoors, facing the sun while standing under a shadow.
Outdoors, facing the sun.
I can't really judge comfort as these had sadly expired by the time I got around to do this review so I basically just snapped the photos and immediately discarded the lenses after. Yes, this is the fate of most lenses I've reviewed lately and will be for many more to come as I found that goddamn box that I had yeeted into storage and forgot about and yes, it was filled with lenses. So sadly there was a lot of pretty lenses in the box but I figured I'd at least review them in case it helps someone, out there, some day. 
So yep, in other words I can only base comfort on my first (and only) impression of wearing these lenses for the approximately 20 minutes it took to take the photos. They felt kinda decent, I did feel them in my eyes but it wasn't outright uncomfortable except for that one lens was a lil' bit scratchy while the other one was perfectly fine. My vision was slightly blurred and they might have been a tiny bit drying? I'm honestly not sure if it was the lenses or my eyes cuz my eyes were already dry before I started doing the review lol. But yeah, on a good day (assuming I had non-expired lenses, of course) I would maybe have been able to wear these around 3-4 hours I think, which is pretty decent considering how sensitive and naturally dry my eyes are.

I don't have so much to say about these lenses, really. They are small, have a rarer bloodish shade of red and thanks to the simple design they lend themselves to cosplay, Halloween monsters and why not metalheads, goths and others who dress in dark styles. This is maybe not as much of a cutesy lens as most circle lenses are so it's a rather "low threshold" lens to try if you're a first-timer or looking for an unnatural color that somehow doesn't have fake plastered all over it.

Distance photo below.

 
Short summary:

Color: 6/10 
A really deep, dark red lens. Yes, the name Light Red is deceiving lol.
Design: 6/10 
It's a simple design with a black rim, single color and has a streaked center.
Opacity: 8/10
My eyes are obviously not light blue-gray anymore. Great coverage despite the "dotty print".
Enlargement: 4/10 
Very slight enlargement effect, mainly just an illusion from the black rim. Won't make or break anything.
Comfort: 5/10 
Overall quite decent but perhaps a bit dryish and one of the lenses was a little bit scratchy? Minor vision blur.
Naturalness: 3/10 
Cut the color some slack and it's not too shabby due to the lack of size.. for being a red lens.

Thanks for reading my blog! More reviews coming soon~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!