July 25, 2020

Lens review: Vassen Dolly Plus Green

Hello everyone!

It is me and it's time for another circle lens review. This time it's the Vassen Dolly Plus Green, sometimes also spelled as Vassen Dolly+ Green. Not gonna lie, I had high hopes for these and was sooooo disappointed! D:

Hang on, I'll show y'all~



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.5 mm
Water content: 42% 
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


Look how gorgeous that color appears in the vials! I was admiring it for so long, hoping they'd be just as vibrant and fresh when worn but alas, my hopes and dreams were crushed in the mud. ;_; Honestly many years ago these were among my top "must try" lenses and the disappointment I felt once I saw them in my eyes was immense. I really wanted them to actually have that cheerful, turquoise color but no...

One lens in.
Urrrrgh! I just can't. Look at that ugly, boring color that just muddled up into a near soulless mess with my eyes! I don't remember when I've last been this let down by lenses. I dislike these and now I can only hope that the other Dolly Plus lenses I have yet to review will have a nicer color...

But if we ignore the sub-par color payoff for a while I'd like to say that the design itself is likable, it's a cute and very versatile style that can be used for many things. It's maybe not the most unique as I'm sure there are lenses out there with similar designs, but this is a good "base design". Also, as with most Vassen lenses these are on the bigger side, in terms of size, and the black rim adds a dolly look along with the illusion of even bigger eyes. 

The opacity is... well. It does change my eye color but I think it blends and thus darkened way too much to look good. I don't know, maybe these would look a lot better on other eye colors? On my light eyes it looks like shit most of the time, unless I go outdoors during sunshine or get that coveted 'halo effect' to appear, then the true color of the lenses will peek out a bit. Yeah I know I'm being quite harsh, it could have been worse but my expectations were super high; I had been saving these for that perfect photoshoot and then I forgot about their existence cuz I stored them away in a box for literal years. Oh well, unlike with the previous lenses I reviewed I feel no regretti spaghetti over these lenses having expired by the time I, err, refound them.

Lens photos below!
All photos taken by me during a July noon with a semi-clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Indoors, natural room light.
Indoors, yellow room light.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
Indoors, in a corridor with poor distant natural light.
Facing a window, not sun side.
Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing the sun while standing under a shadow.
Outdoors, facing the sun directly.
In terms of comfort I, once again, are basing my grades on like 15 minutes of first impressions due to the lenses having expired by the time I got around to do this review. This means that I literally only wore them to take these photos and then I immediately discarded them. I stress, do not wear expired lenses for anime conventions etc even if they feel okay. It is always a risk to your eyes.  
But what I can say from wearing these lenses that short time was that they feel thin and I barely felt them. They were potentially a bit dryish but there were no other discomforts and I suspect that, if they had not passed expiry date I could potentially have worn them around 3-4 hours, which is pretty decent in my book. I have super dry and sensitive eyes naturally so anything past 4 hours without eyedrops is rare.

I don't know, maybe someone out there likes these but for me they are ugly as shite unless in specific light conditions. The design is pretty but the color is just horrible. I would not recommend these if you have the same or a similar eye color to me (grayish blue), unless you specifically need this color for a cosplay or just, you know, you actually like it? I really don't, ahahah. This kind of color is exactly what I fear I'd get when I buy blue-green lenses. But oh well, now I know not to buy these although for someone else these might be exactly what they are looking for. Life is weird like that.

Distance photo below.


Looking for reviews of Dolly Plus lenses in other colors?
I got you covered: Blue, Violet, Brown, Gray, Red

Short summary:


Color: 2/10
Bleugh! Immensely disappointing on light gray-blue eyes. Was hoping for a fresh, popping and bold turquoise but got an uninspiring
mess of swamp troll poo. :(
Design: 8/10 

Cute and simple, very versatile style with a dolly effect.
Opacity: 3/10 
It changes the color of my eyes but my real eye color affects the outcome a lot and well, it's not pretty.
Enlargement: 8/10
Very big.
Comfort: 6/10 
Thin and I barely feel them. Potentially drying but I have dry eyes naturally so not sure if lenses or bad eye day lol.
Naturalness: 4/10
Too big to really be believable.

Would you wear these or do you also find them underwhelming?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!