August 8, 2020

Lens review: Cupid Flame Red

Hi there!

I'm back with a new circle lens review! This time I'm bringing quite a different one to the table as this is a brand I have not tried before – it's time to review the Cupid Flame Red! I bought these from a limited sale at Momoko Lens a couple years back, I am not affiliated with this particular site but thought I'd mention where I got these lenses. I have not been able to find this pair on the site since then (that, or I'm bad at navigating the site) so it might just have been a flash sale styled limited run.

Let's go~



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.5 mm
Water content: 40% 



You might notice that I'm not writing out life span on these and that's because I can not find that information anywhere (I did not think of taking a screenshot back then when the lenses were in stock on the site) and if it's on the blisters then I'm sorry but I can't read Chinese. I would guess it's the usual 365 days but as I can't be sure I'd prefer to not say anything in case I'm wrong.

Also, blisters! I have never had circle lenses in blisters before so this felt wild. I don't know if it's because I'm so used to glass vials but I had some serious trouble opening these lol! And getting them to photograph was hard too but I hope you get the gist of what the design looks like at least.

One lens in.
The design itself is nothing hyper unique but it does seem to create a sort of, err, blotched and wild look to your eyes? Like it's unstable and burning or something. There is some yellow mixed in with the primarily red color so it's actually quite lively and in some lights it even takes on an orange shade, which is pretty cool! Flame Red really fits the impression I get of these.

The red color itself is bright, shows up well and has great coverage. There's a thin limbal ring and the lenses are notably on the bigger side. The pupil opening is a bit irregular and that actually helps with not making my light eyes 'clash' horribly in the center where lens meets iris. I think the transition is not half bad, in fact.

Lens photos ahead ~
All photos taken by me during an August noon with a clear sky.
There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light indoors.
Yellow room light indoors.
Flash photo.
Unlit corridor with only poor distant natural light.
Facing a window, not sun side.
Outdoors, back against the sun. Facing the wall.
Outdoors, facing the sun while standing under a shadow.
Outdoors, facing the sun.
Sadly these were not comfortable at all. I could feel the edges of the lens very clearly on both eyes at all times, it was uncomfortable and scratchy. They blurred my vision somewhat and were not good in any aspect, except maybe for that they were thin enough to be floppy. But floppiness makes lenses harder to insert so it's kinda annoying too lol. In fact I struggled to wear these for the 15 something odd minutes I needed to get the photos; I wanted to immediately throw them where the sun doesn't shine but had to get the photos done first. Like okay I've worn even worse lenses but these are on the bottom of the list. I would not be able to wear these for more than 30 minutes even if I tried, they were that bad. I don't know, maybe I just got a defective Monday example? I have another Cupid lens that I will review later so let's hope that one is good. In terms of comfort these were a huge letdown, I'm sorry.
Also, these lenses were horrible when I first opened them last month too. They were just as unwearable back when I was doing my Kashuu Kiyomitsu cosplay. I initally first tried to wear these for the photoshoot but they were so goddamn awful I had to swap them for another red lens that I will review later, stay tuned for that.

In terms of color and design these are likable and cool but the comfort drags all of those merits into the mud. I can't recommend these at all, based on my experiences, even though I liked the orange-ish red shade. It doesn't always go as expected and sometimes you end up being disappointed. No can do but move on and remember folks, don't force yourself to wear lenses that feel wrong to wear for longer periods of time. If it hurts it probably hurts for a reason I yeeted these straight into the trash as soon as I was done with snapping photos.

Distance photo.


Short summary:

Color: 9/10
It's a red with orange undertones, quite rare color. There's yellow spots to give a flaming, wild look
.
Design: 6/10 

It's a fairly ordinary design but it still has some lowkey chaotic vibes.
Opacity: 8/10 
Great coverage and goes surprisingly well with light eyes.
Enlargement: 7/10
On the bigger side but nothing insane. Black rim is tiny when compared to more dolly lenses.
Comfort: 1/10 
Unwearable. I feel the edges of both lenses "hugging" my eyes and it's really scratchy and uncomfortable. Blurs my vision somewhat and is overall just not good in any way.
Naturalness: 2/10
It's a freaking red lens, it's not meant to be natural.

Thanks for reading this review!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!