July 23, 2019

Lens review: Vassen Bambi Blue

Hello gentlefolks!

It is time to continue my seemingly never-ending supply of circle lens reviews, this time the Vassen Bambi Blue. Sometimes these lenses might also be known as Vassen Bambi Queen Blue. They are also very likely the same pair as the Kimchi Bambi Blue as well, since as far as I know Vassen is the company that manufactures the lenses that both Kimchi and I.Fairy sell.



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.5 mm
Water content: 42%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)



These lenses have an extremely similar design to the incredibly popular GEO Princess Mimi series, so if you recognize the print from somewhere then that's why. No wonder that design gets copied though, it's super cute and really versatile!

Always put your lenses to soak at least over the night before wearing them for the first time! The solution that the lenses are stored in while in their small little glass bottles is not the same kind as ordinary lens solution that you buy from the pharmacy etc.

One lens in.
This is a big lens, no doubt about that part. The blue color also shows up very nicely and is of a fresh, youthful tone. It's kind of a light blue but it's a really pretty color and I personally like it a lot! The random orangeish yellow dots towards the center actually help with the color transition in my case, I actually thought that it would make the blending worse but it does help. xD Could be though because I actually have a goldenish ring closest to my pupil...?

The limbal ring is a bold black and the rim itself is rather thick, thus creating a very dolly appearance. The black streaks have the effect of pulling the viewer's gaze in and also make the lenses have some "life" to them and not look soulless.

Lens photos below!
 All photos taken by me during a July evening with a mostly clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light indoors.
Yellow room light indoors.
Flash photo.
Poor natural room light. Standing close to a dark corridor.
Facing window. (not sun side)
Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing the wall)
Outdoors, facing the light/sky while standing under the roof's shadow.
Outdoors, facing the sun directly.
Comfort was a bit conflicting for me. I can't grade comfort properly though as I sadly got around to do this review only after the lenses had expired (I literally just took the photos and discarded the lenses immediately after that) so my comfort grading is based on first impressions only. With that said it's also worth noting that I have immensely dry eyes naturally. But yeah, the comfort – these lenses are thin and otherwise great and invisible to wear except that, for some reason, the other lens was scratchy and slightly blurred my vision; possibly a defect or that dirt somehow got under the lens but I can't be sure. In whatever the case I'd estimate comfort around the 3-5 hours range, which is like above average considering how dry my eyes are. I guess for someone with "normal eyes" it's anything between 5-8 hours, likely?
This is honestly a super pretty lens that works for almost anything – be it cosplay, fashion or just a fancy day out. The design is simple and what many probably see in their minds when they think of circle lenses. It's an adorable lens with a good color payoff that doesn't look too unrealistic while still maintaining that kind of cutesy fairytale aesthetic. Definitely worth trying this staple design if you like the bigger kinds!

Distance photo!


Wanna see more Vassen Bambi lenses?
I got you covered: Green, Pink

Short summary:

Color: 8/10
Lovely medium lightish blue. A very youthful and fresh shade!

Design: 8/10
Beautiful design that makes your eyes look alive and young. Simple but brilliant.
Opacity: 8/10 

Color coverage is better than what I initially expected. Looks great.
Enlargement: 8/10
Definitely on the dolly scale but will work for most styles.
Comfort: 6/10 

Above average I think. I don't feel them and they are thin, the other lens was weirdly a bit scratchy? 3-5 hours of wear on ultra dry eyes.
Naturalness: 2/10
The color is a bit too strong, not to mention the size and highly noticeable black rim.

Thanks for reading my blog!
Shiro Samurai says bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!