December 12, 2018

Lens review: GEO Animation CP-A1

Hello guys!

I still have time to cram in a few more reviews before this year is over so here goes. Today I'll review the GEO Animation CP-A1, a pink animation/crazy lens! I'm gonna have to say that I didn't really expect these to look as creepy as they do. xD



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.2 mm
Water content: 40±2
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


The design is very obviously made to mimic manga eyes, sparkly shoujo eyes in particular I'd say. There's a lighter pink half and a darker half, separated by black parts which are probably supposed to be "shadows" in a very cartoony way. There's these thin streaks all along the pink areas and sometimes they are accompanied by white thicker streaks meant to be light reflections.

I remember being very curious about trying these out and I was not quite prepared for how freaky they look in real life. xD It's not as bad on the photos but my first reaction was almost jumping back from the mirror, lmao. Like there's something that looks off but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is and this sadly makes me not quite like these lenses as much as the other GEO Animation lenses I've tried.

One lens in.
They don't look as weird on photos as they do in real life, somehow? Actually look pretty okay on photos, haha. I have to admit though that I had a hard time figuring out which way you are supposed to wear these, aka which part of the design is supposed to be up and which down – I took a wild guess and poked my eyes until the lighter half was up. Oh and yes, these do spin in your eyes. Slowly.
As is to be expected these look really... anime. The colors are super opaque and bright and the design is really far from natural. This is a cosplay lens or perhaps for some really funky colorful fashion styles? There's a slight enlargement effect so it's suitable for most people.

Lens photos ahead!
All photos taken by me during a morning with a semi-clear sky with the sun super low on the horizon line (polar night is a thing here). There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light indoors.
Yellow room light indoors.
Facing window. (shadow side)
Flash photo.
Outdoors, back against sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing sun while it's blocked by a roof.
These are thin and comfy to wear. It's worth noting though that these lenses do greatly obstruct my vision in the sense that a part of my vision field is black at the corners. It's a bit annoying and makes a sort of 'tunnel vision' effect that's more or less constantly there as soon as I step outside the door. I can't imagine these being all that nice to drive or bike with because of the restricted vision. But besides that little detail I have no issues with these and I do think that I could wear these somewhere around the 3-5 hour mark.

So yeah, it's a cosplay lens definitely but I just personally somehow don't like these as much as I thought I would – mainly because of hos unsettling they look face to face. They're okay on photos and even look great from a distance but afhdsfdsjs, I just can't explain why I'm not warming up to them. I think it's something with how obvious the thin streaks are in real life and it somehow makes these look eerie and "too busy"... but I'm not sure at all. I guess some would love these lenses but I feel like the other GEO Animation lenses do the anime look better. It's not bad by any means and definitely worth a shot if you need this kind of pink-violet color as it's really hard to come by. I'm sorry this sounds so negative, I don't mean to. ^^"

Distance photo! 


Short summary:

Color: 9/10 
Really bright violet-pink color that shows up well from a distance.
Design: 6/10 
It's cool with the 'anime eye' look but something makes them look creepy to me.
Opacity: 10/10
Really covering, as you'd expect from an animation lens.
Enlargement: 4/10 
Small-ish size increase. Suitable for most.
Comfort: 6/10 
Thin and comfy. Beware of very prominent black corners and 'tunnel vision' outdoors (at least in the light conditions I had).
Naturalness: 0/10 
I was legit afraid that I'd scare the piss out of a small kid who passed me by while I was outside taking photos...

Thanks for reading my blog!
Shiro Samurai out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!