September 13, 2018

Lens review: Vassen Sweet Bliss Gray

Hello there!

Whoops. I was supposed to keep up the fast posting schedule but then I... got lazy. Or more like, PS4 gaming spree happened. xD I still have a lot of lenses left to review before winter comes and I really need to hurry up because polar night has already started approaching. Lucky are the people who don't have to account for it when planning to take photos. Obviously I have to since I live so far up so yeah, that's the main reason I'm throwing out so many lens reviews this year as I have a lot of pairs that expire at the end of 2018. Tbh I should have done more reviews during the previous years but I didn't and now I have to rush and spam you guys so... rip. Or something.

Today's review is about the Vassen Sweet Bliss Gray, also commonly known as Vassen Cloud Nine Gray. This is a cosplay and j-fashion lens to me as the design is pretty cartoony and anime! It's a big and cute lens with a lot of color!


Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.5 mm
Water content: 42% 
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)



As you can see these lenses have this really bold, striking black rim and what sets it apart is that the rim is bordered with these black lines running around it. I guess it's supposed to give a more intense impact or perhaps be some kind of effort to "blend" but it gives a really distinct look to these peepers whatever the case.
It seems like the coloration is done in this kind of, err, blocks with different transparency levels which makes it so that it's not a solid, fake-looking gray. The lenses end up having these in-between-the-blocks streaks where your real eye color slightly shines through a bit. It's a neat effect and combined with the uneven pupil hole we have an interesting and unique design at hand.

One lens in.
The design is lovely. I don't know how to describe it but I feel like it does some kind of "teary eye" effect in a way; it's really cute and delicate despite the intensity of the color which isn't shy at all. There's a notable enlargement boost and yes, that totally means dolly eyes if that's your thing, but even if it isn't I don't feel like these are too big. I can say though that at least on my eyes they do look weird without eye makeup.

In terms of design Vassen is one of my favorite brands at the moment, they have so many different designs and the color opacity is always to be reckoned with. Their lenses tend to have vivid colors that are often cosplay-friendly and as I'm a fan of really colorful lenses then I'm of course drawn to them.

Lens photos below!
All photos taken by me during a September morning with a clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Indoors natural room light.
Indoors yellow room light, with sunlight coming in from the side.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
Indoors unlit corridor. (poor natural light)
Facing window. (shadow side)
Outdoors, back against sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing sun while being under a harsh shadow.
Outdoors, facing sun.
Comfort is okay. I don't know why but always when I insert these lenses they feel scratchy at first, not in the unwearable kind of way but in the "I can stand this but oh come on" way. Luckily once the first 10 or so minutes have passed it seems to stop and after that the lenses are so comfortable that I hardly feel them in my eyes! There's still of course the slight feeling of "I have something in my eye" (especially when I move my gaze since the lenses are big) but it's nothing that you really pay attention to. 
I could wear these for a little short of 3 hours before the first signs of dryness kicked in, which is pretty good in my standards as my eyes are ultra dry and that sucks. I went outside with these when it was really dark and noticed no difference in my vision field so they don't seem to generate colored corners in poor light conditions at least. I did experience some slight blur every now and then but that has been common for me lately, to the point I'm not even sure anymore if it's the lenses or my eyes derping around.

Final words to say is that this is an awesome lens if you like bright and fresh colors that really show up well. It's a solid choice for cosplaying and despite its anime-ish appearance it's surprisingly versatile, at least in the fields of j-fashion and alternative styles. These lenses makes my eyes look bubbly and alive and I think these would be great for cosplayers doing younger characters or sweet ones.

Distance photo!


Want to see Sweet Bliss lenses in other colors?
Check these out: Brown, Green, Pink, Red, Violet, Blue
 
Short summary:

Color: 8/10
Beautiful fresh and cute light gray with some potential blue undertones? Really nice either way.

Design: 9/10
Unique "teary eye" look combined with a black rim for maximum impact.
Opacity: 8/10 

The design has some more transparent parts but overall the color coverage is great.
Enlargement: 8/10
Really dolly. Will probably look weird without any kind of eye makeup.

Comfort: 6/10 
Okay. Scratchy upon insertion but once past that they are close to invisible. I almost got to 3 hours before the first signs of dryness plopped up. Estimated wearing time on super dry eyes around 3-4 hours.
Naturalness: 2/10

I can't really pretend that these would be natural in any way but they're not freaky either.

Thanks for reading my blog! Be cool out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!