September 2, 2018

Lens review: ColourVue Phantasee Winter

Good day folks!

This is the last of the ColourVue crazy lens review batch for now (I have more but those won't be reviewed in a while) and what I have in store is the ColourVue Phantasee Winter! When you think of winter you normally think of colors like blue and white, right? But these lenses are pink! The closest I can think of pink and winter that's related would be setting sun skies so while it's not a typical winter color for me it's not completely weird either, haha.




Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.0 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)



Just like with the Summer lenses that I reviewed earlier I was surprised to find that the lens was just pink and not with those black details like the stock images implied. I'll admit that I'm drawn to this kind of bold fantasy style of lens and although the pale pink might look weird on my light eyes I decided to try these out anyway. Yes, the pink is really really pale and of a cold shade – it's probably the palest pink lens I've ever come across.

One lens in.
So the design looks wacky! It's a pretty intense color and the jagged swirl effect shows up nicely. I suspect these would look better on dark eyes but the look they provide on light eyes is kinda fascinating, to be honest. The size enlargement is barely noticeable, it's there but it's so minor no one's gonna pay attention to it.

The comfort is nice overall. They feel surprisingly thin and there's no nasty itching nor scratching. I don't experience any vision obstruction (blur, colored corners) either as the print of the lens is so far out on the edges. I have really dry eyes naturally and so it's hard for me to give any reliable wearing time estimates as it can vary greatly per day, but I'd say anywhere between 3-5 hours in my case. Please note that these times are for super dry eyes and that actual wearing time on more "normal" eyes would probably be more like 6-8 hours or something. Comfort can vary greatly between different people so comfort grades are always to be taken as just an estimate and not something written in stone. ^^"

Lens photos below!
All photos taken by yours truly during a semi-cloudy afternoon. All close-up photos are free from color filters and such and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.


Natural room light.
Yellow room light.
Bathroom light.
Unlit corridor.
Flash photo.
Facing window. (shadow side)
Outdoors, back against sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing sun while being under a harsh shadow.
Outdoors, facing sun.
Outdoors, facing sun. (sideway glance)
It seems to me like the print of the lens, when worn, is at the very edges of my irises; this makes it seem like the lens appears darker at the edges but in reality it's just because the print is so close to the outer rim of my eyes. It's hard to explain but I think you'll understand what I mean if you look at the photos closely.

This is a funky and cool lens for those who like lenses out of the ordinary! I can see it being used for fantasy looks of course and visual styles, cyberpunk and such. It's a fun lens and the color really pops and brings this kind of almost ethereal look sometimes, which is pretty cool. These could perhaps be used for cosplay as well but my personal opinion is that there's not enough colored area on these to be really cosplay-friendly and so I'd rather recommend these for fashion instead. In any case it's an unique lens, especially if you crave for a really pale pink!

Distance photo ~


Want to see the "season" series in another color?
Check this out: Summer

Short summary:

Color: 9/10 
Ultra pale and vibrant pink. It's definitely something different and it's pretty damn neat.
Design: 9/10 
Jagged swirly print that is both artistic and somehow crude at the same time.
Opacity: 9/10
The colored parts sport really solid coverage. It would be even better if the color reached deeper to the center.
Enlargement: 2/10 
Really minor enlargement.
Comfort: 8/10 
Thin and pleasant to wear overall with no vision obstruction. Estimated wearing time about 3-5 hours on super dry eyes.
Naturalness: 1/10 
No, I don't think so.

Thanks for reading my blog, dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!