I've been trimming the coat all day and my neck, back and shoulders want to selfdestruct. Now I will write about the progress while it's still fresh in my mind. Beware lots of photos.
My trim of choice was a 3 cm wide roll of bias tape we had at home. I took the widest I could find because extra width wouldn't hurt and it would more likely cover what needs to be covered better.
I decided to start trimming the upper edge of the collar. Because I'm lazy at explaining how I fold things I'll show you le poorly drawn Paint-quality picture instead. It's probably easier to understand than my explanations anyway. lol
|© Valkoinen Samurai|
(I have no idea why I drew faces on them.. )
But when I had trimmed a bit of the collar's upper edge I turned it around and...
|It didn't catch! D:<|
I would sew one side at a time, starting at the inside/wrong side, and make sure the bias tape was sewn on at half its width (1,5 cm) so that when I was done with one side there wouldn't be nasty surprises.. aka not enough width at the other side. Then I would just sew the other side closed. This meant there would be two stitches at one of the sides when I'm done and that's why I started at the inside.
This technique worked better for a start (even though I had to be very careful with the measuring) and after I had trimmed one side it looked like this:
Then I just stitched the trim on the other side just like I had done. But this time I didn't need to measure, just had to make sure that I pulled on the trim as much as it would go over and stitch it in place.
|I also had to make sure the stitch from the other side would be hidden by the bias tape...|
|Seems okay right?|
But when I lifted the "flap" a bit... (oh why did I even sew that far from the edge anyway..?)
|THAT GODDAMN STITCH IS VISIBLE. I MISSED IT BY A LOT FFFFFFUUUUUU|
|Unstitching - Scissors style...|
|They see me fleein', they hatin'|
Yeah, go figure. I bit my lip and continued. For some reason the trim decided to do like I wanted this time and you know what... it looked okay = Good. Next thing to do was to figure out how to get a nice change of direction on the collar trim because now I would be going downwards. I played around with folding the end in different ways and figured the basic fold (like on that poorly painted tutorial) worked the best, except that the folded trim edge I folded over to the fabric's other side and when I folded the trim lengthwise that folded edge got hidden. This photo doesn't show it clearly but at least something:
When I had settled on how to that bias tape direction change thingy-whatever-to-call-it I just continued to sew along the front body of the coat until I got to the first spike. When I got to the spike I folded in the edge of the trim (which I had now cut off from the roll) somehow so that it was sort of point shaped.
|One side of the trim attached (Plan B style)|
|Just showing how I made the other side of the collar when I got to that point where the direction changed...|
|Front center trims done.. now to get spiked...|
|Finished spike point (V-shaped)|
|I did a slight cut in the middle when I got to the upside down V-angles..|
|... and folded the trim edges so that they met. (other side not folded/sewn on picture yet)|
|The mischief maker - knotted bobbin thread|
|Sure isn't my day today...|
|The outside looks nicer because I sewed on the outside and it's the side that will show anyway..|
I took a break because my body was killing me.. but I decided I would finish the coat today so I came back after about 20 minutes to trim the arm openings. I had to think a while how I would go about trimming them because as I mentioned in the earlier post they are V-shaped and not curved/rounded. This makes attaching the trim all around a hassle and difficult. I decided not to add trim completely around.
|Sewing arm opening trim..|
(I took off a part of the sewing machine so I could put the sleeve around it and roll it around)
|Finished arm opening trim|
|Close-up of arm hole end..|
And now I really don't even want to see bias tape or think about trimming anything for the next few years. Even thinking about getting to work with armoring seems that much more pleasant...