August 20, 2015

Lens review: Dueba Volte Violet

Hello guys!

I have another lens review to share today! ^_^ It's the Dueba Volte Violet lenses which, sadly enough, might be impossible (or close to impossible) to find anymore. It saddens me that the Volte series is seemingly discontinued, but no can do – all good things do come to an end. :( They were one of my early favorite circle lens series, nuuuh...
These are seemingly also known under the name Dueba Twinkle Violet...?



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.5 mm
Water content: 38%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)

As you can see my vials are of the G&G brand and not Dueba. But this is nothing to worry about since G&G, Barbie and Dueba are all the same brand!

One lens in. Notice enlargement effect.
The first time I wore these lenses I was really sleep deprived (had slept less than 3 hours on the previous night) and I wore them at an anime convention. I could only stand the lenses for 2 hours and then I really really wanted to take them off. This surprised me greatly since all the other Volte lenses (Green, Gray and Brown) that I've worn have been of utmost comfort. Sure that my sleep deprivation and thus tired eyes might have contributed to the lenses feeling bad in my eyes, but I don't know to what extent. I remember them feeling dry and a bit itchy and I kept feeling them in my eyes at pretty much all times.
I wore the lenses again for a second time today and I instantly noticed that I still felt them in my eyes from the moment I put them in. This time I couldn't blame a lack of sleep since I had slept until 11:00, aka more than enough. I started taking the photos and after I was done I went back to chill and check internet. I noticed that out of nowhere my eyes got really watery and maybe 15 minutes after that I started feeling the whole "my eyes are drying and getting irritated" feeling. I kept the lenses on for 1,5 hours and then I went "fuck it!" and took 'em off. The horrible wig headache might have been a contributor.
I don't know if I've been having extra sensitive eyes lately or if I just got an unlucky pair this time around, but whatever the case these sure aren't as comfortable as the other Volte lenses I've had. *shrugs*
Oh, and even after taking the lenses off I kept feeling the whole "phantom lens" sensation, as if the lenses were still in my eyes. x) It took a while (30+ minutes) before my eyes got back to their normal comfy selves...

Photo batch of the lenses ahead!

All photos taken by me during a late August afternoon with a clear sky!
There's no color filters or such and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Indoors facing the window in my apartment.
Flash photo indoors.
White corridor light.
Crappy yellow staircase light.
(notice how my wig turned Miku Hatsune lol)
Outdoors facing the sun directly.
Outdoors sitting under the roof, facing the direction of the sun.
Outdoors, back against sun.
Outdoors, facing a corner of the building. Back against sun.
It's such a shame that the comfort is not very good because I really like the color of these; the design is also to my liking. I think that the purple color is surprisingly opaque – it doesn't disappear into my real eye color when I'm in a place with insufficient light, like the Volte Green tended to do easily. :/ 
I like that the Volte series have a medium-small enlargement effect so it doesn't look too dolly and will fit people who have smaller/narrower eyes naturally. They also look surprisingly okay in terms of naturalness, even with that noticeable black limbal ring haha.

Distance photos!




Psst, interested in seeing what the other colors of the Volte series look like? ^o^
Check out these reviews: Gray, Brown, Green.

Short summary:

Color: 8/10
It's a super lovely light violet shade!
Design: 8/10
I really do like the swirly design!
Opacity: 7/10
These have rather nice opacity. The violet shows up even in crappier lights without ending up "disappearing" into my real eye color. It also blends a bit towards the pupil.

Enlargement: 4/10
Enlargement effect is average, a bit on the small side maybe.
Comfort: 4/10
Comfort is the worst of all Volte lenses I've tried; for some reason I can't stand wearing these for more than 1-2 hours. :( My eyes feel them and can start watering for no reason or get moments early on when the lenses suddenly feel dry/irritating in my eyes etc. Maybe it's just an unlucky pair? It's quite the bummer nonetheless, as the other Volte lenses have been super comfy to me...
Naturalness: 3/10
Quite natural, especially for having a notable dark rim and for being violet.


Shiro Samurai out! Bye bye!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I think purple lenses look so cool *u* It's too bad that these weren't the most comfortable D: I think the comfortableness of lenses is the most important -- nonetheless, you look great in them ^o^
    ~Kiyomi from kokorosasa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lenses suit you so well! love how vibrant they are~ ^.^
    would you like to follow each other? :')

    MishCheungX | UK Beauty & Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!