October 22, 2020

Lens review: I-Codi Colors of the Wind Moonlight

Hi there peeps!

It's been a long time since I did my first I-Codi's Colors of the Wind series review but I have more of them coming up soon and yes, today is one such day! I'll show you the I-Codi Colors of the Wind Moonlight today and yes, it's a yellow lens.

Let's cut right to it!




Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 15.0 mm
Water content: 38%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)





I originally got these as backups for my Hotaru cosplay from Samurai Deeper Kyo. I ended up using the Lemon Tea lenses during the Närcon debut some years back and well, after that I forgot that I had these lenses. I had put them away in a little box and when I found it again they had sadly expired; I had remembered the dates wrong. I thought I had more time. :'( So now best I can do is just review this pair and the other I-Codi Colors of the Wind lenses that I'll get around to do later...

It should be noted though that even with today's circle lens market yellow lenses still aren't that common. Finding natural-looking yellow lenses is even rarer, as in that they have a natural design and the color isn't crazy bright.
Also, unlike most circle lenses these I-Codi lenses come packaged in a stylish cardboard box that is color coded for each lens (Moonlight is number 13).

One lens in.
Not gonna lie, I thought I had the lenses on wrong-way-out at first. xD I had to double check but no, they are supposed to look like that! I'm so used to lenses having a black rim that this kind of pale rim seemed weird haha. But actually, it's not bad at all?
There's not a big difference when you compare these to the Lemon Tea – the main shade of yellow is almost the same, these are maybe a tad darker but I'm honestly not even sure anymore. The biggest difference is how these have more, err, "blended out" edges where the Lemon Tea has a distinct black rim. It's honestly just a preference question at this point on which lens you'd like more of the two as they are so equal otherwise.

My natural eye color is a light gray-blue and thankfully these don't blend into a mustard poop color on my eyes, they keep that deliciously semi-realistic yellow shade as hoped. This is a rather realistic lens for being yellow, the design is simple and somewhat mimics a real iris. It doesn't do any gradual blending or some such but it still somehow managed to not do the 'clash' look on my eyes, which is good. I actually really like these lenses, they balance on that delicious thin line between natural and unnatural.
Oh and yeah, in terms of enlargement effect there is a slight increase but due to the, err, somewhat modest design, it's not all that noticeable.

Lens photos below!
All photos taken by yours truly during a noon with a clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Indoors, natural room light.
Indoors, yellow room light.
Bathroom light.
In a corridor, weak distant natural light only.
Flash photo.
Facing a window, not sun side.
Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing the sun while standing under the roof's shadow.
Outdoors, facing the sun.
So if you read above you already know the sad fate of these lenses. I can not grade comfort but what I can say is that based on my first impression (and yes, my only impression in this case) these lenses were thin, invisible to wear to the point that I did not feel them at all and just overall comfortable. I did not notice any yellow corners at the edges of my vision either. My eyes are naturally very dry but my guess is that I could probably wear these for 4-5 hours if they hadn't been expired. Anything past 3 hours is good in my book nowadays.

It's not like the brightest, clearest, most pure yellow lens out there but it does a dang good job at being a yellow lens and not looking creepy at all. This is the kind of color that if yellow was a naturally occuring eye color then it would probably look something like this? A great lens for live-action roleplays, theater, cosplay, fashion and pretty much anything. You could even use these for some less scary werewolves or vampires at a themed party where there's young kids or something. This is such a widely usable lens! I would recommend these.

Distance photo!


Short summary:

Color: 8/10
A medium to darkish yellow, natural in coloration for being an unnatural color. Great.

Design: 8/10
Mimics a real iris and thus versatility is achieved! There's only a vague limbal ring.
Opacity: 7/10 
Much better coverage than one might initially expect from a non-crazy, realistic yellow lens.
Enlargement: 4/10
No notable enlargement but still a lil' something.
Comfort: 8/10 
Appears to be very good. Thin, I don't feel them at all and really comfy.
Naturalness: 5/10
Surprisingly passable considering these are yellow after all.

Thanks for reading, I hope you found this review useful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!