August 10, 2017

Lens review: Vassen Sakura Candy Red

Hello puppies!

I will be reviewing a circle lens today – it's gonna be all about the Vassen Sakura Candy Red! What we have is a quite simple lens with a great dose of color and a huge black limbal ring, which in turn makes the lenses appear really cute and colorful. ^_^

Yo ho, let's go ~



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.5 mm
Water content: 42% 
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


This kind of lens style is popular with cosplayers, or at least that's the impression I got a couple years back when I first started using circle lenses. It's a simple single-tone red color that gradually fades towards the center and the print also features a really thick black limbal ring. I'd say that it's a pretty big lens, but it's not too big either; the bold limbal ring adds to the illusion.
The color is surprisingly vibrant and it pops in most lights. It's a crisp and bright shade and adds to the whole lens looking 'anime' – definitely cosplay material, as long as you're not too bothered by the large pupil hole.

One lens in. Notice enlargement effect.
Regarding comfort the lenses are thin and a bit floppy; I had some problems inserting them because of that the first time. I sometimes feel them in my eyes directly after insertion but I get used to the feeling rather fast and it disappears quickly too. These lenses don't block out my vision in any way and are nice while worn – I don't really feel them much in my eyes, which is always a good thing!
I got some occasional dry bouts but they only lasted a couple minutes at most and then the lenses went back to normal but I don't know, it happens to me with pretty much any lenses nowadays so I don't know what to think about it, lol. After 4,5 hours they suddenly felt really dry out of nowhere so yeah, I guess that's approximate wearing time for me. Pretty good, considering how horribly dry eyes I tend to have.

Lens photos below!
All photos taken by me during a August morning with a clear sky. All close-up photos are free from color filters etc and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.


Apartment room light. Only natural light.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
Facing a window in the corridor. Not sun side.
White light in the corridor.
Yellow light in the staircase.
Indoors storage room. Natural light that turned weirdly blue on camera.
Basement floor. Poor natural light in the distance.
Outdoors, back against the sun. Facing wall.
Outdoors, facing sun. Yes, it's painful.
I love red lenses, it's such a cool color! It's obviously not natural by any means but there's something with the red pairs that really catches my fancy, hehe...

I also want to mention that I've come to notice that a general rule of thumb is that the bigger the lens is the bigger the pupil opening tends to be, which in turn means that more of your real eye color will show through the center. Of course there are exceptions but yeah, this is the general conclusion that I've landed at. Just thought I'd throw that piece of information out into the world. :)

Distance photo!


Short summary:

Color: 9/10
Really fresh and bright red lenses that show up well!

Design: 7/10
Simple yet cute lens design with a single color and a bold black outer ring.
Opacity: 8/10 

The color is opaque and fades beautifully towards the center. Just be mindful of the big pupil hole if you dislike that look.
Enlargement: 8/10
Definitely on the bigger side but still wearable for casual-ish looks as well, assuming you rock a fancy style.
Comfort: 7/10 

Pretty good. A bit flimsy to put in but I don't really feel them in my eyes once worn. Wearing time approximately 4,5 hours on my dry eyes, possibly longer.
Naturalness: 1/10
Big red eyes, you say? No, not cutting it.

Thanks for reading my circle lens reviews!
Shiro Samurai says sayonara.

1 comment:

  1. The simple design is indeed really good for Hetalia characters!
    But yeah, as with most larger circle lenses these do have a big pupil hole (I assume you mean that), which is good in a way because at least you get no vision blur nor colored corners; it's just that it tends to look better on dark eyes because yeah, brown is closer to black. ^^"
    But hey, as you can see on the basement floor pic these do almost fully cover your iris in poorer lights, so wearing them for a night/evening photoshoot could be really cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!