Yesterday on 1st June I biked to mom's place together with Hasakitsuki.
Our reason, you ask? Make some cosplay progress for the very-rapidly-approaching Desucon! Go go go!
I already spoiled one of my cosplay plans earlier and that was Okita-san's violet yukata version. Remade, of course. Because my original one is so damn bad that I wouldn't wear it to a con even if I got paid for it. So yeah, I went to mom's to remake this fucker! 8D
So around afternoon 15:00 or such (Finnish time) I started sewing; I had already cut out all the parts needed (except for the collar) at Jäätynyt Enkeli's home a few days prior. I did the measuring and cutting based on some French kimono tutorial as well as my own knowledge.
|(note: this picture is of a woman's kimono, I'm making one for men)|
Well well, let's get on with this; at mom's the first thing I did was zigzaging around all the pieces except for the okumi panel pieces and the collar, but I hadn't even cut it out at this point because it was to be made of a different fabric.
The first part I attacked after the zigzaging was the sleeves. I went to iron them to make life a bit easier; one small fold for where your hand will come out of the sleeve and one bigger fold for the sleeve's "hanging end", so that there will be less bulk when I sew it shut later.
Oh, much later on I sewed a straight stitch on top of the small fold so that I would get a neat finish and avoid having to fold in the hand opening when I sew the rest of the sleeve shut.
|Sleeve preparing – ironing.|
|10 centimeters marked.|
|Sleeve attached to one body panel.|
|Back seam done.|
|I have no idea what I'm doing but let's hope it turns out a-ok! (handsewing)|
Yeah, I actually slept over at mom's place. I need to finish this yukata before I leave or it's not gonna get done in time. On the following morning I woke up fairly early (more time to sew!) and started preparing to make the collar. I cut up 9 cm at the shoulder folds on both sides on the front to make room for the collar. At this point I also lazied out of accuracy so I just measured a straight line from the 9 cm cut to the beginning of the okumi panel and cut out a triangular part on both sides, to make room for the collar.
|Upper part of the front panels. Also shows shoulder folds.|
|Making slits on the shoulder for the collar.|
I cut out a 14 cm wide piece (it's called seam allowances and the final collar will be folded in half), ironed it and attached interfacing fabric to the whole length. Then I just folded and ironed it in the middle and sewed it on. I trimmed the interfacing fabric excess off as well.
|First, iron it smooth.|
|Add the interfacing fabric! Floppy collars are eew.|
|Folded like this shows.|
|Folded and pinned in place.|
|Being sewn on.|
With the bottom hemmed my yukata was basically finished and so we biked back home and I took a few photos of it. If I have time I will do a preview before Desucon but if not then you have to satisfy yourself with this finished product photo:
|It's finished! |
Valkoinen Samurai goes off to eat some pancakes and think about what more stuff needs to be done before the con arrives ~