May 12, 2017

Lens review: Vassen Natural Sparkling Red

Good day people!

Today I will review a quite different circle lens, namely the Vassen Natural Sparkling Red! Despite the lens name implying that it will be red it's actually not the case – it's a big transparent lens with the only thing being red is the inner arrows pointing towards the pupil. But what these lack in color they make up for in effect!

Let's get to the review!



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.5 mm
Water content: 42%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


A majority of the body of the lens is colorless, meaning that the final outcome is highly dependent on what your natural eye color is. The design features a thick black limbal ring, some gray "shadows" at the edges that have some lines running towards the center, as well as the characteristic small red arrows. The arrows themselves aren't all that noticeable, to be honest – they just give a tinge of red to your eyes, like a thin ring running around your pupil. It's nothing that will be noticed unless the viewer is very close to you, but it's a fun little detail nonetheless.

One lens in. Notice enlargement effect.
As you can see I have light blue-gray eyes and to me it looks like these lenses pronounce the grayness of my eyes when worn. Depending on what your real eye color is these lenses will come out looking very different from wearer to wearer, but one thing is sure – there will always be a really pretty and noticeable halo effect! The halo effect is pretty much guaranteed thanks to the transparency and the size, which is bigger than a natural iris.

These lenses are generous in size and it's definitely the most noticeable trait, together with the halo effect, of course. In a way I like the lack of color because this is a lens meant to enhance your eyes rather than do any dramatical changes, save for the size boost and the prominent limbal ring.

Lens photos ahead!
All photos taken by me during a May afternoon with a semi-clear sky.
There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.


Natural room light in my apartment.
Bathroom light.
Facing a window in the corridor.
Flash photo.
White light in the corridor.
Yellow light in the corridor.
Yellow light in the staircase.
Indoors storage room. Natural light.
Basement floor. Poor natural light.
Outdoors, facing the sun while being under the shadows.
Outdoors, back against the sun. (aka facing wall)
Outdoors, facing sun.
When it comes to comfort these lenses felt a tiny bit scratchy at first but my eyes got used to them in a matter of minutes. They are quite comfy otherwise – no stinging feeling, red or teary eyes etc. I do notice though that these do blur my vision occasionally, not by much but it's enough to be noticeable.
I guess I could say that comfort is above average for me; I have sensitive and/or dry eyes and I could wear these for around 4 hours with no problems, likely a couple hours more. Most lenses I've had lately dries out for me in about 2 hours, so 4 hours is pretty good in comparison.

This is definitely not a lens that you buy for the sake of color – you buy it for the lack of color. ;) It's a cool and unique lens, something quite different from what's commonly available in the market. If you want to try something that stands out in its own way then the Vassen Natural Sparkling series is something to check out!

And lastly, a couple distance photos!



Short summary:

Color: 1/10
I can't grade it for color because there's barely any color, lol. x) The little red there is hardly does anything for the overall look and the gray is just for effect shadowing.

Design: 8/10
It's different, it's something out of the ordinary. Really simple yet pretty translucent lens with a thick limbal ring and some tiny red arrows for detailing.
Opacity: 1/10 

These lenses are colorless and thus the point is that your real eye color will be there!
Enlargement: 8/10
Really big!
Comfort: 6/10 

Quite decent, actually. Felt a bit scratchy at first but it went away quickly. Blurs my vision occasionally but doesn't dry out too fast; I can easily wear these for 4 hours with no issues.
Naturalness: 5/10
If we ignore the size –and the fantastic halo effect– what we have at hand is a quite natural circle lens.

Thanks for reading my circle lens reviews! ^.^
Shiro Samurai says baibai ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!