May 8, 2017

Lens review: GEO Xtra Aster Blue

Yo beauties!

It's time for a circle lens review. ^.^ Today's review will be about the GEO Xtra Aster Blue from the Flower series, which can also be identified by the code number thingy on their lids, aka WT-C12. It's a pretty pale blue lens with a sort of 'burst' inspired flower-ish print that seems to twist towards the center.

Let's do this!



Base curve: 8.7 mm
Diameter: 15 mm
Water content: 42%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


As with any legit GEO lenses these come with authenticity stickers on so that you can scratch and check them up online, to prove that they're safe to wear. And if anyone wonders why the heck my stickers look blue on the photos it's because they've been sun faded by time (I've had these lenses unopened for years close to a window) and were originally green, like they should be.

My natural eye color is a light blue-gray and these lenses actually have a soft light blue color – it seems like a lens that is meant to enhance your natural eye color more than change it, but of course the final effect will depend on what your own eye color is. On my eyes these lenses show up as a mild blue shade, it's quite sophisticated.

One lens in. Notice enlargement effect.
The lenses don't have a huge amount of pigment and it actually fades towards the center. In the center there's a black "sun-shaped ring" running around the pupil opening, drawing the gaze in. But despite the rather intricate design these lenses don't strike me as obviously unnatural more like a semi-natural lens. I mean sure, it's big and has a notable black limbal ring with jagged edges but there's something about the soft coloring that makes them look rather natural. I like the look.

I would say that the lenses are big but not so big that you couldn't wear them for casual looks if you wanted. They would of course work in a heartbeat for stuff like lolita fashion and such but yeah, they are versatile and I'd say that that's a good thing; I only wore some minimal pencil eyeliner with these while I did this review and it doesn't look bad at all, but of course how the lenses will look also depends on your eye shape etc.

Lens photos ahead!
All photos taken by me during a May afternoon with a clear sky.
There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.


Apartment room light, only natural light.
Bathroom light.
Facing a window in the corridor.
Flash photo.
White light in the corridor.
Yellow light in the staircase.
Indoors storage room. Only natural light.
Basement floor. Poor natural light.
Outdoors, facing the sun while being in the shadows.
Outdoors, back against sun.
Outdoors, facing the sun.
Regarding comfort I'm not impressed. It appears like the right lens was defective; I tried to clean and reinsert it three times and every time it scratched my eye in the exact same way. Thankfully the left lens was fine and so I could grade comfort with it. I would say that it's decent but it starts to dry my sensitive eyes early on – I managed to wear these for approximately 2,5 hours before I felt like I wanted to take them off. I could have worn them longer, if I wanted, but I'm careful about my eyes and don't want to take unnecessary risks if I don't feel like the lenses are comfortable enough. Of course eye drops would solve the problem but I prefer to grade comfort without using any kind of aids.

So yeah, it's a pretty semi-natural lens with a subdued blue color. In a way I'd say that it's almost mesmerizing because of the swirling pattern. In some light conditions the blue shows up livelier but most times it's soft and pleasant. It's overall a nice lens but the comfort is sub-par for me.

Distance photo ~


Short summary:

Color: 6/10
Nice soft light blue color.
Design: 7/10
Pretty flower-ish 'burst' effect with a slight spin towards the center. Nice jagged edges!
Opacity: 5/10
Seems like the color is perhaps more intended to enhance your eyes than change the color completely. Still appears as blue though, a natural shade.
Enlargement: 7/10
Sort of big but not overkill either.
Comfort: 4/10
I can feel them slightly in my eyes and they dry fast. Approximately 2,5 hours of wear.
Naturalness: 4/10
Decent. Ignore the size and the intricate print and we have a semi-natural lens!

Thanks for reading! I hope you found this review helpful!
Shiro Samurai out ~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!