February 22, 2023

Lens review: ColourVue Phantasee Blue Spin

Hello peeps!

I'm gonna continue on the contact lens review roll for a while longer as I still have some backlog to chew through. Today I'm going to review the ColourVue Phantasee Blue Spin, a special effects colored contact lens for fun occasions and parties.




Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.0 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


These are quite a fun-looking lens with a stylized swirly pattern, makes me think of car tires or like ninja throwing stars or something lol. It's quite unique and the color opacity looks great when viewed in the vials.
There's only two colors, a blue for the main color and then black for the outer rim and the "spikes" around. One good thing with this kind of patterned lens is that due to the print being symmetrical all around one can't actually tell if the lenses are spinning in your eyes or not, so you don't run the risk of looking funny in a derpy sort of way lol.
 
One lens in.

 You can see that the color coverage is very solid and the print itself is rather intense and eye-catching. I somehow feel like it almost makes my eyes look, err, robotic somehow? Like it's a very unnatural look due to how bold the black parts makes it but it looks pretty cool regardless and would be quite sick for punk looks, rave parties and the like.
There's not a lot of enlargement although there's a slight size increase. The colors really pop (as is expected of crazy lenses) and there's no transparency in the pigmentation so whatever your natural eye color is it's very unlikely to shine through.

Lens photos below!
All photos are taken by yours truly during partly cloudy weather. All close-ups are free from color filters and the like and that's so that the colors would appear as true to life as possible.

Natural room light, indoors.

Bathroom light.

Flash photo, indoors.

Facing a window, indoors. (not sun side)

Unlit corridor, weak distant natural light.

Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing a wall)

Outdoors, facing the sun.

Comfort is pretty okay based on what I could tell. These lenses were part of the "already expired" batch that I had stashed away and forgot about for literal years so yeah, I only wore them for the review photos and then immediately discarded them. This of course means I can't really grade comfort properly nor fairly but what I can say is that, based on my first and only impression of wearing these lenses, they were thin and overall comfy and I didn't feel them in my eyes. If anything there were some slight colored corners at the edges of my vision when moving my gaze around but yeah, that's to be expected with sfx lenses as the pupil hole tends to be a lot smaller than on your average circle lens.

All in all these lenses are pretty rad in their own right, maybe a bit too extreme for daily wear unless you don some clearly alternative and funky looks (think like cyberpunk and such) as part of your everyday style. But they're fun, have a very distinct look and will surely get your peepers some attention!
 
Distance photo!


Short summary:

Color: 9/10 
Very strong blue and black lens, shows from a distance and looks rather intimidating.
Design: 7/10 
Simplified swirly print that is bold and symmetrical. It's not the most artistic but it looks neat regardless.
Opacity: 10/10
The lenses are very opaque and covering. There should be no issues hiding your natural eye color.
Enlargement: 2/10 
Very slight enlargement effect, it's not really anything you notice much. If at all.
Comfort: 7/10 
Appears to be thin and pleasant to wear. I didn't feel them except for colored corners at the edges of my vision field in poorer light conditions.
Naturalness: 1/10 
No no no, don't even try to entertain that absurd thought.

Thanks for reading my blog, woohaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!