April 8, 2018

Lens review: Beaucon Shimmer Green

Hello sweeties!

I'm back and I'm still clinging on to the hope that I'll eventually find a Beaucon lens that my eyes will grant their seal of approval to. ;_; I really like their lenses and how they cater to smaller diameters but I swear I have some sort of Beaucon curse on me, lmao. But hey, I'll review the wonderfully natural Beaucon Shimmer Green today, let's go!



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.0 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)



I usually jump straight for the vibrant and artsy circle lenses but every once in a blue moon I feel the itch to try a more natural pair. I wasn't expecting much from these in the color department but, much to my surprise, I feel compelled to say that I think these lenses are the most natural green lens that I've tried! Something about their look and color is luminous and really eye-catching, yet somehow retaining the image of a natural green.

One lens in.
The size increase is very minor and I honestly don't notice the difference unless I'm just wearing a single lens. When looking at the lenses in the vials I was expecting a rather bland, possibly muddy green but what I got was this bright and lively green that actually is really pretty. I'm surprised that it manages to look so natural while still being eye-catching – green lenses tend to either turn into this bland ugly color or completely disappear on my light blue-gray eyes. Beaucon knows how to get the colors right!


Lens photos below!
All photos taken by yours truly during an April afternoon with a clear sky. All close-up photos are free from color filters and such and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Apartment, natural room light.
Apartment, yellow room light.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
Facing the window.
Outdoors, facing the sun.
Outdoors, back against the sun.
In terms of naturalness this is the most beautiful green lens I've tried so far. There is a really slight 'halo effect' and the colors blend well with my real eyes, giving a really realistic yet enhanced look. This lens is for those who wish to subtly change their appearance – it's a soft, delicate green that puts one dreaming.

I wish these lenses (just like all other Beaucon lenses) would be more comfortable as I'd love to wear them out. One of the lenses felt a bit scratchy and overall comfort was sub-par. I could wear them for about 1 hour before they started drying so yeah, I'd estimate anything between 1-3 hours on my dry and sensitive eyes. I've said it many times but my eyes just don't like Beaucon brand lenses, much to my sadness, and although this is the case for me it might just as well be that you would have no problems with them; everyone's eyes are different and thus comfort is always highly individual.
I think the Shimmer Green would be great for LARP, movie character cosplay and fantasy creations. I could also see them work for some video game characters, depending on how realistically the characters are designed. For anime eyes and such these would be too small and not bold enough but, then again, I would totally wear these for portraying elves and other fairytale figures!

Distance photos!




Want to see Beaucon Shimmer lenses in other colors?
Check these out: Blue, Gray

Short summary:

Color: 7/10
Beautiful natural green at its finest.
Design: 6/10
Realistic design with a thin dark limbal ring. Simple but effectful.
Opacity: 6/10
Wonderful blending while still turning my eyes undeniably green.
Enlargement: 2/10 

Size increase is there but it's so discreet that you don't notice it much.
Comfort: 3/10
One of the lenses felt a bit scratchy but otherwise okay-ish. Wearing time around 1-3 hours on really dry eyes. Not the best I've had but not the worst either.
Naturalness: 8/10
Alluring green that manages to look natural while keeping it interesting.


Shiro Samurai says bye bye and thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. So I've just found out about your blog through the link you left on a lensvillage review. I've got to say I really like your lens reviews on your blog. Great pictures in various lights and good details and descriptions. Makes me want to try out more lenses. Thanks (^^,)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, I love your blog What brand do you think is the most comfortable for dry eyes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks!
      I've tried so many different lenses and brands over the years that it's getting hard to remember them all. xD I would say that Neo, I.Fairy and Vassen have been quite consistently comfortable to me but honestly, it's really hard to suggest brands to others as everyones eyes are different and what is good for me might not be as good for the next person etc. I think by now I've had less good pairs with all brands too so there are no guarantees even if you repurchase a pair that was comfy the last time.
      Most brands are okay (and there can be big variations within the same brand!) but the most important thing is to let your eyes rest inbetween and bring eyedrops if you plan to wear lenses for a longer time.
      I think the best advice I can give is to just buy lenses you like and hope your eyes like them too. Good luck!

      Delete

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!