January 7, 2016

Lens review: Kimchi Milky Gold

Hello folks!

It's time for the first circle lens review of the year and this year's gonna be a golden year! Yaassss, I'm gonna review my first golden pair right now! o/ It's the Kimchi Milky Gold, let's go!



Lens to the left shows the considerably lighter "wrong" side.
Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 16 mm
Water content: 55%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)

OMG my first golden pair that I open and try out! *_ * I've been itching to use a golden lens for years now and finally it's time to break my golden lens virginity, LOL. For those that do not know I want to mention that circle lenses with a gold color are fairly rare to come by – there aren't that many different ones out there in the end, especially if you compare to the common colors like blue and brown. I know most of the currently available gold lenses (what you mean I'm a lens guru, lol) and I do own more golden lenses than just this pair, but those I'll review in the future so keep an eye on my blog if you're interested in more golden goodness! ;) 

One lens in.
Okay, so these lenses are actually gold/yellow in color when worn, which already is a huge plus! The shade is a bit darker so it appears as a more "natural gold" instead of a really bright gold that would ambush you from miles away. These lenses also show up in most lights although, in some cases, it can be a bit hard to tell from a distance, on first glance, what color it's supposed to be. Also, in some poorer indoor lights (especially in real life, aka non-camera) the lenses might appear like some undefined grayish shade because they just seem to mix and disappear with my real eye color; my real color is a blue-gray with an occasional greenish tint, by the way.
Regarding the design I must point out that it blends surprisingly well for being an unnatural color and for having such a black-speckled print. The lens design is lovely and I'd say that it's one of these multi-usable ones that works for cosplay as well as for some semi-natural daily looks.

Lens photos ahead!
All photos taken by me during a cold-as-shit January morning (around 10:30 with close to -30 °C outside) with a clear sky and a very reddish-orange sun that's low down in the horizon line; it won't rise much higher up since we still experience polar night in the north. The sky is a soft multi-pastel color, as is typical on winter mornings here.
There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Facing the window in my apartment. Sunlight. (sun side)
Apartment room light, standing next to a yellow lamp.
Bathroom light, standing very close to the lamp.
Flash photo indoors.
Facing the window in the corridor. (not sun side)
White corridor light.
Yellow corridor light.
A warm orange-yellow light in the staircase.
Outdoors, facing the light. (sun is too low in the horizon, it's blocked by trees)
Outdoors, back against light.
Indoors on third floor*, facing sun through a window. (sunset-like light)
Indoors on third floor*, facing sun through a window. Crazy bright!

* = my apartment is on the third floor and this makes it possible for me to face the sunlight,
even though it's otherwise (aka if I was ground-level) too low in the horizon.
Facing window in my apartment, blue light.
Regarding the enlargement I want to mention that these lenses have the exact same stats (diameter, water content etc) as the Kimchi Flora Green lenses which I reviewed last year. Fun part is that these golden lenses feel a lot smaller when compared to the Kimchi Flora pair, which felt bigger than life, lol. I haven't compared the lenses to see if they truly are of a different size but it could also just be an illusion of the design, since the Flora Greens are so dark and thus give a notable black dolly eye appearance; the Kimchi Golds just don't give the same effect at all.

As for comfort these seem to be pretty dang good! I could wear these for 8 hours before they felt dry enough that I wanted to take them off, except that I got a random bout of dryness around the 1,5 hour mark it uttered itself as me "pulling faces" with my eyes and rubbing/pulling the eyelids and doing slow blinkings. It went away though and for a while I didn't really pay attention to that I was wearing contact lenses; the first hours I felt that I had lenses on, although it was really minor and didn't bring me any discomfort. After around 3 hours passed the lenses were suddenly really comfortable and I didn't feel them after that; I went out in town with them and had no issues whatsoever! 
I honestly thought, based on first impressions, that I couldn't wear these for more than 5 hours but nope, 7,5 hours went by no problem! :D My eyes got used to them!
The Kimchi Milky Gold lenses seem to be on the thinner side too, in the sense that they flop and fold themselves quite easily when I handle them. I didn't have problems inserting them though.

Distance photoooooo!


Okay so, what can I say? I dig these lenses, I really do – they exceeded my expectations. They're great for cosplayers who needs some gold lenses that are a bit on the discreet side; these lenses ain't gonna jump at most people and that's why they're great if you cosplay a character who has a more toned-down or dull golden shade to their pupils. The black color in these lenses is what I assume makes them look darker overall. Definitely recommended!

Short summary:

Color: 7/10

A nice darkish gold that shows up well and doesn't turn into a muddy/mustard brown color once worn.
Design: 7/10
Pretty simple but really likable in my books. Works well for many different looks!
Opacity: 6/10
Pretty good, especially for being a gold/yellow lens that is not a crazy lens. Also blends nicely without sacrifing the color coverage.
Enlargement: 7/10
Even though these are a Kimchi lens I don't feel that they are exceptionally huge...?
Comfort: 8/10
Pretty good. I sometimes feel that I have lenses on, but it's slight so it doesn't bother me. I could wear these for like 7,5 hours before they started to feel dry.
Naturalness: 3/10
Surprisingly okay for being a super unnatural color with a thick limbal ring. I'm actually impressed.

Thanks for reading! I hope this review was helpful! o(*゚▽゚*)o
Shiro Samurai out. 

1 comment:

  1. These lenses look really nice on you, the colour is so nice! Thank you for the honest review! The comfort probably sells me on this the most - wearing for 7.5h without feeling too dry? I need~
    Junniku blog! (What I got for Christmas)

    ReplyDelete

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!