January 17, 2012

Desucon Frostbite 2012 – Bleach gathering and pizza

Hello!

Desucon Frostbite came and went. It was held in Sibeliustalo on 14-15 January 2012.
It was a great experience and I had a lot of fun! I was part of a massive Bleach cosplay group on both days and I met a lot of great new people! I'm quite socially awkward and don't have a lot of friends so this was really something great for me. We had a lot of different characters like Hollow Ichigo, regular Ichigo, Grimmjow, Hitsugaya, Izuru, Uryuu, Hanataro, Aizen, Orihime, young Byakuya and I saw others too including Rukia, Ikkaku, Soi Fon, Rangiku, Shuuhei, Renji and Yoruichi. Of course I was Ukitake myself on Saturday and Gin on Sunday. :)

I took a bunch of photos of other cosplayers too but mainly from shows I recognized because I'm not really into the currently popular stuff like Kuroshitsuji, Ao no Exorcist, Hetalia and those. I'm not sharing any photos here though since it didn't cross my mind to even ask permission because yeah, I was so engrossed in the moment and since cosplay blogging is so new to me I didn't even think about taking photos for blog content, oops. I probably should have thought about documenting the con for the future, and in hindsight I wish I had, but at least I can say that there's a lot to improve on. :'D Bad blogger!

The weekend was mildly crazy and there was a lot of derp and bonding going on. I saw a bunch of cool costumes like some viking guys with big shields, Link and Midna from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and someone cosplayed Mulan in her Ping disguise!

Kotipizza mayhem in full force.

If you've been to Desucon before you might know about the Kotipizza case. I was at Desucon this past summer (before I started blogging) and I vividly remember how basically everyone went to get pizza there because it's the closest restaurant by quite a margin, as far as I know. Obviously I'm not a local since I live in northern Finland but I for sure didn't see any restaurant closer than Kotipizza when your starting position is Sibeliustalo lol. It's literally just a few meters away, it's as convenient as it can possibly get. The only thing that makes getting your pizza a hassle is that probably a thousand others thought to do the same. :'D

Hangry Ukitake chomping down a pizza.

Both my cosplays seemed well-received and I got quite some hugs and photos taken of me, even though it seemed, at least for me, that not so many people ran around photographing cosplayers – maybe because the con was crammed with people inside all the time because of the cold weather outside or something? At least I know I don't like taking photos and having 94389392 people in the background lol, but maybe that's just me.

I don't really have any proper photos of my cosplays to show even though I took a fair amount of them. It's just that I'm self-conscious about how I look (I used to be bullied and called ugly a lot in school) and wasn't happy enough with the photos I had. :/ Does anyone else have that weird experience when you think you look good when you're posing in your costume etc and then when you look at the photos you look nothing like you envisioned? It's hard to deal with sometimes. 

This sums up the con. :'D (not drawn by me)

During the later hours of Saturday there was a night party (aka iltabileet) and I attended it together with AuriRaitsu and Frozen Angel. We had planned already before the con to dress up as original formal wear versions of our corresponding Bleach cosplays, meaning that I did Ukitake in a white suit and a red shirt, AuriRaitsu did Izuru in a black suit with a nice silk blue brocade vest and Frozen Angel also did Uryuu in a white shirt and black vest with no jacket. We were looking smooth! It was a fun spin on the characters and going to a night party was a new experience for me, albeit different from what I would usually gravitate towards. I think the company made the occasion because I know I would have gone straight to bed if I had no friends luring me over lololol.

My Gin cosplay went over well for its debut (better than I had expected actually), especially because I had AuriRaitsu tagging along with me as my wonderful lieutenant Izuru and we walked around the whole Sunday as a duo! As much fun as I had I feel like I don't have the right aura for this type of character, like Gin has this kind of chilling presence and I was derping around more often than not lmao. It's also really hard to do his facial expression right when he has that constant smug fox-faced grin and squinted eyes plastered on his face at all times. I'm so inexperienced with makeup that I don't know how to make my eyes do that look. I only started learning makeup because of cosplay, haha.

All in all I had a lot of fun despite my still fresh respiratory issues from that traumatic hospital experience last year. Well, at least I pass as a very convincing Ukitake lol, I mean you gotta try to make the best out of it or otherwise experiences like walking up stairs and almost fainting because you can't fucking breathe becomes a lot more morbid. I'm so grateful I had sympathetic people around me who helped me carry my bags and made sure I was okay. ;_; Y'all are gold worth.


Thank you to all the lovely people I met!
Shiro Samurai says bye bye~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated before being published. Do refrain from spam, blatant ads and all kinds of hateful or otherwise offensive discourse. This blog follows a safe space principle.