Hello geeks!
Let's get on with it~!
I was at Matsucon earlier this month during 8-9 August and, well, I'm not gonna lie, I ended up getting sucked into Genshin Impact (I was catching up on the main story; I was in the beginning of Nod-Krai and now I'm up to date in Snezhnaya lol) and that's why this summary comes a wee bit later than my usual post-con scheduling would be. Eheh.
Let's get on with it~!
![]() |
| Matsucon info booklet. (couldn't find a poster :D) |
I've been to Matsucon for many years now so it hardly needs lengthy introductions at this point lolol. Once again Matsucon was held in Pohjankartano, a school building (and 'monitoimitalo' I guess, whatever that is in English) in Oulu, Finland. I live fairly close, roughly a one-hour train trip away so I tend to make it a point to go to Matsucon annually to support it and also because I really like Oulu as a city – it's comfy, pretty and there's a lot of nice restaurants and park areas etc.
Just like before I applied to be a volunteer worker because why not? Always a pleasure to safeguard that we get these events in the future too, I mean if no one gave their time to cons then there wouldn't be any cons! It's as simple as that. And besides, I think the Matsucon organizers are very friendly and accommodating to my needs and that makes me want to be a part of the team every year – I feel welcome and valued.
I applied to the video game room (last time was in 2023) and got in. I've never been denied a volunteer spot at any con by the way, which I think speaks for how needed every one of us is!
As per usual I traveled down by train to Oulu the day before, on Friday, with Firith as company. Our train left Kemi 17:00 and once we got to Oulu roughly one hour later the first thing we did was immediately walk over to Pohjankartano to drop off our flea market items and to grab our worker badges in advance. Or well, Firith was not a worker but a panelist (program host). Once that was done we walked to our hotel in centrum.. but not before I grabbed a cup of bubble tea on the go. xD We had booked a room at Sokos Hotel Arina, which is basically our mainstay hotel at this point.
We didn't stay in the room for long before we went to a nearby foodstore and, uhh, that trip resulted in me buying an unhinged amount of pick and mix candy (or 'irtokarkit' as we say in Finnish) because there was a big sale and I saw a lot of candies I hadn't seen anywhere in ages.
The rest of the night we watched some National Geographic, which is a tradition by now, and then we went to bed.
We woke up around 8 or something like that, I slept relatively okay when I take in account all the shoulder pains and stiffness I've had lately. Despite not having a cosplay to put on (I went in my ordinary clothes) it took us quite a while to get con-ready due to tiredness and I also had some lowkey nausea. I ended up missing the morning info briefing but that didn't matter much as we had already gotten instructions through email prior and yeah, I'm a familiar face to the game room manager so she knows I'm capable.
![]() |
| Matsucon outside view, the food truck was a new addition! |
My first shift for the day would start at 14:00 so by the time we arrived at the con (at around 11:45) we still had a few hours of free time. Or well, Firith needed to go to prepare the Genshin Impact panel which would start at 12:00. I went there as emotional support and to take some photos; the contents of the panel were the same as on its first outing in Terucon last year. This was essentially a rerun.
![]() |
| 'Seuraava Potilas!' Genshin Impact panel. |
The panel tackles themes of mental health and personality disorders and features these kind of lighthearted takes and what-ifs on what difficulties and diagnoses the game's characters could be battling with based on their personalities, backgrounds and such. It's an interesting concept and there's room for a lot of reflection, education and entertainment.
The duration of the panel was roughly 30 minutes and after that we spent the remaining free time that I had on checking out the Dealer's Hall. Mainly because I had a custom order from Si3art that I wanted to go pick up.
![]() |
| Dealer's Hall viewed from above, aka the main area. |
The Dealer's Hall is a mix of artisans (which are basically those artists who have outgrown the Artist Alley, usually they run established businesses) and vendors like Manga Cafe and the guest of honor Nako Ichinose's booth. For those unaware the latter is a Japanese musician (singer, songwriter, and pianist).
Mastucon has always had the different vendors located in the large main hall, which means you see all the merchandise tables almost immediately upon entering the building. I like to think that this "instant shopping view" adds to how quickly my mind registers that I'm at an anime convention – it's like it speeds up the internal calibration process and gets me in the right mindspace faster lol!
![]() |
| Entrance to the video game room. |
Before I knew it I had to head on over to the video game room to start my work shift; I would work 4 hours per day, meaning 8 hours in total during the duration of the con. I had one long shift per day, meaning I did all 4 hours in one go. Normally this length would be stressful and difficult to me to do in one sitting but as I'm already acclimatized to Matsucon's environment –and the gaming room is a very safe space for me (I know how consoles work due to my gamer background etc)– it's surprisingly doable because I guess my mind doesn't fully register it as "work" but more of a "be helpful and nice to other gamers and watch over the consoles" which is something I would do naturally in a home setting if I had a group of friends over anyway. The only thing that changes in the equation is that I don't know the people who come over to play and that I now have teammates to organize food and piss breaks with lol.
![]() |
| Video game room view. |
Unlike the last time I volunteered at the gaming room this time the room was split by two different.. err, factions, I guess one could say? :D So Matsucon's gaming department, aka us, had three retro consoles available for use (a Sega Mega Drive, Super Nintendo and Xbox One with retro games like Mega Man collections and The Secret of Monkey Island) while FGC Oulu provided the lion's share of the room in terms of more modern consoles with a sole focus on fighting games. It probably goes without saying that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was a popular choice throughout the day and often played on the big screen! Oh and yeah, there was an indie game dev group in the room too and you could playtest a very early version of their frog daycare game!
My work shift went without a hitch and I dare say I had pretty fun; my colleagues were nice to be around and it felt like I was a part of a merry mix of more-or-less strangers with a shared interest! During slower moments we'd talk about our experiences playing different games and Hannu would lorebomb me with Castlevania stuff and other fun facts of the gaming industry, including intricacies of the OG console war between Sega and Nintendo!
Before I knew it the clock was 18:00 and it was time to pull my ass off the chair and head back to the hotel as Matsucon was over for the day. I don't have a clear recollection of memories on what we did after the con but I know we were hungry at some point and that we went to McDonald's for dinner because our wallets were on a diet, not us. :')
We went back to our hotel room after mäkkiöverit
![]() |
| Rescued salted caramel cakes. So worth it. ;_; |
By this time the clock was already getting quite late and so we ate the cakes (I can really recommend Ravintola Puistola's pastries, especially through the ResQ app to prevent unnecessary food waste at the end of the day!) and mindlessly watched the good ol' National Geographic for a bit before eventually going to bed.
I'm not sure but I think we woke up around 8:00 in the following morning. We headed down for hotel breakfast and then it was time to pack our stuff and check out of the hotel because yeah, in almost every accommodation place you have to be out the door by 12:00 on departure day. But unlike our previous kermaperseily
![]() |
| View towards the entrance feat. info desk and ticket sales point. |
This time we had more free time to explore than what we had on Saturday because now we were actually early and none of us had any responsibilites until I had to go work at 12:00. This meant we could go and to our united Artist Alley run (it's more fun to browse with a friend!) and then just chill the rest of the time.
![]() |
| I like how Matsucon is very upfront with the rules. |
Browsing Artist Alley is one of my favorite pastimes at anime conventions and other such events because I like seeing art and creative joy come together in a shared space – I've always been a part of art communities since early adolescence and even though my spending possibilities are often really restricted I like supporting fellow artists even if it's just stickers for a couple euros. I also really enjoy interacting with people (even though sometimes I get really bad anxiety and don't know how to end a conversation or overthink and overanalyze everything I said for days after lol) and now that I've just had my first tabling experience myself I can see things from both sides a bit clearer – it is an interesting position to be in when you have experience of being both the customer and the seller.
![]() |
| Artist Alley view. |
![]() |
| Another Artist Alley view. |
Matsucon's Artist Alley is located on the two ends of the second floor, there's sufficient space to move around and browse, although it tends to get crowded during the initial opening and some popular hours. There was a nice variety of artists and products and I bought a few small items, mainly stickers and a wooden fridge magnet with a funny Magnemite art on it.
There were some small artists I hadn't seen in a good while and it was really nice to talk and bond with them, especially now that I'm also a part of the creator gang haha!
![]() |
| General view of the main hall, as seen from the second floor. |
Welp, eventually the clock would inch very close to 12:00 and that was my cue to make way towards the video game room. It was quite busy by the time I arrived but it simmered down within the first hour towards a relaxed lull of a pace. There were enough slow moments that I could sit down and game for my own entertainment, which was really pleasant and a great way to manage my own nervous system to avoid adverse stress reactions building up.
![]() |
| Finally someone had brought Super Mario World! |
I somehow can't help but find it a bit funny how I've spent years checking video game rooms at cons for Super Mario World and after years and years of no such luck it randomly shows up at a restaurant in Rauma, no less, and then somehow it's also suddenly available at Matsucon?? What's the odds and, more importantly, why did some higher powers spend all their wish-fulfillment tickets on me on the same month? xD Is this peak trolling?
The work went fine and lasted until 16:00 when we started to pack up all things and return the classroom to its natural order, aka how it was before Matsucon's crew moved all furniture around. I assisted with the packing and yeah, once the classroom looked like a common classroom again I left to meet up with Firith, whom was waiting just outside.
![]() |
| Gaming room's doodle chalkboard at the end of the day. |
The video game room closed down one hour before the con would officially close its doors and so there was technically one hour left to just vibe before it was time to go. We didn't stay for the last hour though and that's because our train would depart at 17:53 and we had intended to walk to the railway station and wanted to play it safe, in case any option from the lottery of chronic pains would decide to blow up on us on the way there, even though it isn't far at all. Plot twist: we were spared.
An actual real plot twist though was that almost immediately after leaving the Matsucon grounds some random Deadpool cosplayer came up behind us and started a barrage of pleasantries, which included introductions and a handshake lol. I'm really socially awkward with sudden encounters
We had some minor issues getting to the railway station ourselves because there was a construction area on the road we walked but yeah, aside from the initial confusion on where exactly the underpass was we managed to find our way. The train was a tiny bit late but that's nothing new with VR, lol.
Once we got back to Kemi Sallukka was an angel and picked us up and drove us to Firith's place where we could finalize the last leg of the journey, aka I could get back home.
All in all Matsucon was once again a pleasant experience that gets added to my list of successful and nice con experiences. I like the overall atmosphere and vibe of Matsucon and the organizers and workforce behind it are experienced, accommodating and full with passion for all flavors of geek subcultures that Matsucon and the con community at large represents. I will be sure to return and lend a hand in the future too. ^_^
Thanks for reading and thanks to all Matsucon firesouls!
Shiro Samurai is out~
Shiro Samurai is out~














No comments:
Post a Comment
Please note that comments are moderated before being published. Do refrain from spam, blatant ads and all kinds of hateful or otherwise offensive discourse. This blog follows a safe space principle.