March 23, 2017

Lens review: Beaucon Jewels Green

Good day peeps!

I figured I could do a lens review now that the weather is decent for a change – it's been cloudy and slippery for several days now. So yeah, I'll be showing you guys the Beaucon Jewels Green circle lenses! I've already reviewed several other colors from the same series but I think that this might be my last Beaucon Jewels review because yeah, the comfort just keeps disappointing me. :'( I want to like these lenses but my eyes don't like them, lol.



Base curve: 8.6 mm
Diameter: 14.0 mm
Water content: 45%
Life span: 1 year (I recommend 6 months)


I've personally only seen the Beaucon lenses for sale at HoneyColor so yeah, that's where to get these if you're interested. ^^ The Beaucon Jewels series is an option for all those people who like the design of the popular 'Candy' lenses (EOS Sugar Candy and Vassen Sakura Candy etc) yet want a smaller version of them.

The design is actually quite simple but it does give an 'anime eye' effect. The thick black limbal ring makes these lenses stand out but the color does blend into my light eyes, creating a sorta semi-natural look. I think that these green lenses would give more of an impact on darker eyes.

One lens in.
As you can see these are not very big, despite the illusion one might expect from the black rim. These lenses don't look out of place even if you decide to wear them out without any eye makeup.

The color is a quite interesting, appealing green shade. For some reason it blends surprisingly naturally into my blue-gray eyes and doesn't 'clash' badly at the center, where my natural eye color shows through – aka the color transition between my iris and the lens is rather soft. Sadly though it does appear muddy in some lights and it's not as vibrant on my light eyes as the other Beaucon Jewels colors that I've tried. I was hoping for these to pop more, if you know what I mean.
I can't claim that the green in itself is a natural shade but these lenses do appear quite natural, at least on my eyes and if we exclude the obvious limbal ring. It's a cute lens and a versatile one at that.

Lens photos ahead!
All photos are taken by me during a March afternoon with a semi-clear sky. There's no color filters or such on the close-up photos and that's so that the colors would be as true to real life as possible.

Natural room light in my apartment.
Bathroom light.
Flash photo.
Facing a window in the corridor.
White light in the corridor.
Yellow light in the staircase.
Indoors storage room. Only natural light.
Outdoors, back against the sun. (facing wall)
Outdoors, facing the sun while being under the building's shadow.
Outdoors, facing the sun.
I don't know what's up with my eyes today but I'm ridiculously light sensitive – I can barely look into a cloudy sky without my eyes tearing up and I can hardly even keep them open! It was a challenge to get the photos (especially the outdoor ones) and I kept noticing that my hands were shaking when I was trying to hold the camera still so yeah, pardon for the crummier photo quality this time around.

Regarding comfort I still don't have any praise to give, sadly. These lenses felt scratchy upon insertion (even after cleaning them and reinserting) and I feel clearly that there's something in my eyes. It's quite unpleasant and not something that I can easily ignore. I feel them when I widen my eyes, move my gaze around etc and they don't seem to turn "invisible" at any time either – I just constantly feel that I have pieces of plastic on my eyes and it's no gusta. They also randomly feel dry and suddenly feel sort-of-okay again so yeah, they throw me off. 
I know people who have found the Beaucon Jewels lenses really comfortable *coughbrocough* but they're not good for me. :'( Everyone's eyes are different so if you want to give these a try then go ahead, who knows, they might be comfy for you.

The thing is that I really want to like the Jewels lenses they're small, costume-y while still not overdoing it and just generally look sweet and nice to work as both a cosplay and a daily lens. But I can't. The comfort fucks them up big time and I'm really not the type to stand uncomfortable lenses since my eyes are dry and sensitive as is already. Bleh. Me sad.

Distance photo!


Want to check out more reviews of the Beaucon Jewels series?
Lookie here: Violet, Brown, Pink Brown

Short summary:

Color: 6/10
Cute soft green color. Doesn't seem quite as vibrant on my eyes as the other colors though.
Design: 8/10
Simple and likable design that is versatile to boot.
Opacity: 5/10
My eyes look green but in poorer lights it loses some of its impact and turns muddy. Decent opacity.

Enlargement: 3/10
Slight enlargement boost.
Comfort: 3/10 

I feel them constantly when I move my gaze, widen my eyes etc. A bit scratchy and just not really comfortable. I can wear them about 3 hours at most. 
Naturalness: 4/10
The color blends nicely into my eyes but the thick black limbal kills the naturalness.

Shiro Samurai says bye bye! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!