July 18, 2015

Närcon 2015 cosplay plans – Bird trainer & tragic swordsman!

Hello everybody!

Yeah, you've seen it – I AM HEADING TO NÄRCON THIS YEAR!! o/
Last year I decided not to go but this year I am once again attending it! Last time I was at Närcon was in 2013, aka before the major expansion happened. I have a feeling that this year I will be very lost and won't find my way anywhere but oh well, gonna be buckets of fun anyway! :'D You are never really lost until... you are lost. Ehrmm. Yeah.

I will be traveling alone this time, which means that no one of my usual con company (Hasakitsuki, Jäätynyt Enkeli) will follow with because of them having other stuff in the way but hey, I'm sure to meet familiar faces at the con because my awesome mate Hitsuwa and some others will be there! I can't wait!
I'm really excited to go to Närcon again and I'm curious to see what it will be like! I've actually heard really mixed opinions about Närcon 2014 (both good and really really bad) so I want to see for myself if this year's edition is anything like the horror stories I've been told. x) I'm hoping that it will be worth the heavy hole it leaves in my anorexic wallet and that Närcon will be as comfy and festival-y as I remember it!

For this Närcon I really need to lighten the cosplay luggage – seeing how I will travel with a group of con people from the north in a minibus I will have luggage restrictions. You see, we will be around 8 or 9 people in the minibus and everyone's stuff will need to fit into the goddamn thing. :'D So yeah, I really can't take a whale-sized suitcase with me and shove it into the vehicle like I owned the thing lol.
For this reason I have decided to only take with me two cosplays for a whoppin' 4-day event! I'm sure I probably couldn't be bothered to cosplay all days anyway, especially if the dreaded heat wave will hit on the Närcon weekend, which it is infamous for doing. ._. I really dislike being all warm and sweaty in cosplay... So yep, only two cosplays for me and then gargwawesome semi-casual geekily spiced gear for the other days!

So, who will I cosplay at Närcon then?
*insert drumroll here*

Series: Rurouni Kenshin (Tsuiokuhen OVA)
Character: Kenshin Himura (Hitokiri Battousai)

Series: Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver
Character: Falkner (jap. Hayato)
I have not decided fully yet on what day I will do what cosplay, but I'm thinking of doing Falkner on Friday and Kenshin on Saturday. I reserve the right for any changes lol. It will depend on the weather, mainly.
I decided to go with Falkner and Battousai version Kenshin this time – both being costumes that haven't seen the light of day since 2012 and 2013, respectively! Man, that feels like so long ago...
The main reasons for these choices being that Falkner is a lightweight costume to wear –aka I shouldn't die of heat stroke– and Kenshin is just super fun to cosplay and is on my lighter end of kimono cosplays; he also doesn't require any vintage/authentic kimono pieces (save for the shoes and tabi socks), which would be a problem to take care of during the event. By problem I mean that if I wore a cosplay with a real –most likely silk– kimono it would be a hassle to air it out after wear (hot weather wouldn't be kind to the garment, aka sweating, and it's important to let it air out properly before folding and putting the kimono/hakama/etc back in storage) because I would need to hang it and well, have fucking fun doing that when you're camping in a tent the whole duration of the event. ;) Just.... nope. NOPENOPENOPENOPE.

I'm sorry not sorry! for the cosplay recycling for such a big con but I really don't have the money right now to do new costumes and the new cosplays I could have done I, well, ran into issues with. I originally had other plans, I admit.

I hope that my cosplay plans aren't too much of a bummer deluxe. x) Thanks for checking this out and I hope to see many cool souls at Närcon!
Peace and rainbows to everyone! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post. (´∀`○)
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? Don't hesitate if you have something to say – I'd love to hear from you!